1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to purchase workmans comp

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by zackman, Feb 28, 2013.

1. zackman

zackman Member

where did you guys get your policy from?? Any hints on price, for no workers? I just want to have it so I can bid on bigger jobs, and just in case I do hire someone in the winter months. Any info would be great..

In Ct. I do not need it because I am a single LLC next year I will be subing some winter work out, but I already told them they need general and Liability insurance, and they already had it for their own work..

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Call your Insurance agent and request a quote for worker comp... they base it off of estimated payroll for the year

3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

As stated, your agent. Plan on putting out a few thousand because you have no past history. They will base it on estimates, then do a audit at the end of the year and adjust your rates sending you a bill or refund.

4. joe2025

joe2025 Member
    from NEPa

Your insurance company will know where the best place for you to obtain WC insurance is. Some states have a state run workers comp insurance policy for small businesses. The premium is based on how much your payroll is and even if you do not have any there is still a minimum amount you will have to pay for the insurance. Here in Pa. the min. amount for the insurance premium is $1,000.00 plus your insurance company is going to charge you a processing fee of about $150 to fill out the paper work. After your first year your insurance company can shop around and try to get you with a premium insurance company for workers comp insurance. You’re still going to pay about the same no matter who the carrier is. It sucks for a small business owner who may only write a few checks in the winter for part time employees but if you’re going to go after larger corporate contracts they are going to require that you have workers comp. regardless of whether or not you have employees. Just another one of those expenses that you have to suffer through for being a legitimate company and not a beer money guy.

5. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

In Indiana, the state regulates the price based upon your type of work. So every insurance company is the same price, but the state does not regulate the liability, that's where a good agent is preferred.

6. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

This is all accurate information. I will add, make sure you deal with an independent insurance agent who is well versed on workers comp in your state. If the application is not done correctly, it could cause problems for you. Here in NY, most agents will not work on just the workers comp because it's a loss leader for us. Lots of work with very little or no pay.
    Ben

7. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Sounds like my job!

8. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

I just paid $1,000 for no employees and owner excluded.

9. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

$1,000 for coverage when their are 0 people being covered. There never will be a payout.

Everyone and there brother will underwrite that type of insurance because owner can't put in a claim and there are 0 employees to put in a claim.

Better then going on that tv show Gold Rush.

This is better then a Madoff Ponzi err I mean investment plan.

10. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Yeah, I don't get it.......

11. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

That's because you're not thinking outside your box.

The $1k protection is for his SUBS, and it's purchased so that if a sub contractor fails to keep his WC policy in force, and there is a claim, that his ass is covered for his subs employees being hurt on the job. The main contractor is responsible for medical bills if someone gets hurt on the job, and this "no owner, no employees" WC policy is for just that reason.

I pay $1100 a year for my employees hired when needed, and to cover any subs I hire. It's smart business practice, because we all can't be hovering over our subs to make sure they're paying their bills.

12. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I get it now.

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If that's true and you don't plan on using subs,NY law says you do not need WC.I refuse to carry it for myself because when I got hurt years ago with a legitimate claim,they treated me like garbage.When I do street openings or any job where a municipality is quasi involved as an agent,there's an electronic form I fill out to satisfy everyone.