1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to purchase snow stakes / driveway markers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by getblowed, Aug 22, 2006.

1. getblowed

getblowed Junior Member
    from N. CA

I'm wondering where I can get the best price on fiberglass snow stakes with reflective trim? My clients prefer these over less expensive methods such as PVC poles modified with bars and tape etc.

Thanks for yur input!

2. RSK

RSK Senior Member

i would use the same ones why should you spend your money on the ones with the reflective trim they are not $ 1 or 2 they are 5.99 each around there
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Go to the advertisers at the top of this page. Click on Central Parts Warehouse (CPW). Then click on Accessories. Go down the right hand side to Guide Sticks. Then, you'll need to setup an account, but looks pretty easy to do.
  4. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

What your looking for is the "snow pole reflective markers"
    You will need to set up a account.

Click on accessories and at the bottom of the page on the right side, you'll see what your looking for.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks for correcting me, Bryan. :eek: I was on the right path, anyway, just running on one brain cell, I guess. (And it was focused on the coffee)
  6. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i dont supply them to my clients they pay for them, the few times ive needed to install markers, i just went to the home depot and bought a bundle of furring strips, i think they came in 8' length cut them in half ended up with i think around 40 pieces, then took orange paint and sprayed the tops , worked out well, the whole thing cost me $10 maybe?
    the furring strips im talking about were 1x's ,they held up well, and you dont need to worry about damage to them or not getting them back in the spring...:salute: payup
  7. PlowingLowd

PlowingLowd Junior Member

Best Place I've found

I used to get snow stakes from the depot, until I needed alot. They're pretty darn expensive there so I looked into it and found them for rather cheap online at www.discountcontractorwarehouse.com , then look on the main page click on snowstakes.
  8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I spend $15 per drive to mark it. Two signs/drive.
    Phone # on other side.
    Lose about 20% of the signs every year.
    Priceless advertising, helps lure in the neighbors.
    Easy for anyone to find at 3am.
    Everything your company does is a reflection on you.

Signs 050.jpg
  9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Where'd you det them, they're nice!
  10. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

Those are real nice!
  11. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I got connections. ;)
    I get them from Montreal.
    If you want to come to Ottawa, ontario to p/u, I can supply.
    Lots of pins/signs bulky and heavy for shipping although I'm sure it could be done.
    I'd then be an exporter....:laughing:
    Each sign is 2 pieces " stitched" together.
    Fiberglass pin slides between them.
  12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Wow I really like those, I will need to get me some of them.:D:drinkup:
  13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

hey irish, those are fantastic and i couldn't agree more with the advertising potential and the "finding the house in the dark" thing. however, around here the average unlimited price for the season is $99-169 with an average 18-22 trips. $15 is a huge cost plus its all plowing around here and pushing or running over your stakes is common. But I do like'em.
  14. TonawandaNY

HOLLY COW!! I would sell my plow find a job at Home Depot if I only made 100.00 for season on residential.

That does not pay for insurance or the gas never mind the truck payment! I think we get double that as average in Buffalo
  15. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Those are harsh numbers.
    Since you plow, only stake the side where you push no snow.
    That's a 50% savings right there.
    With dollars that tight you should get the customer to pay for them :laughing:
    But they do generate calls.
    Every estimate I went to today had one of my signs 3 doors away.
    Build it and they will come.
  16. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

first off, your local sign guy should be all over this thread. (I'll look into it)

secondly, whos not thinkin outside the box here...call angelos or your supplier of choice and get the orange fiberglass markers just like u were using b4 at less than .50 each, then either beg borrow or buy some reflective tape from deer stand kits, trailer marking kits, sign shop scraps, or worst case, your parts store...and voila!!
  17. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

If you look professional, are professional, you are viewed as being professional.
    But your way would mark the driveway and you would then be known as the " orange stick with reflective tape guy". :D
  18. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

how do you think that reflective material gets applied to those fiberglas sticks? magic? lol

not to say that yours arent nice and they would definitely be preferred :D

I use alot of the orange fiberglas stakes around islands and entryways in key areas of my commercial lots. i dont do any residential. I'm a small timer doing the job of 3 trucks...and using one truck. lol. My customers dont require reflective the orange fiberglas isnt terribly noticeable unless you are looking for them. i just stake em in right b4 snow starts and pull em out after the last snow of the season. I've only lost a couple so far.

but advertising would be the dumbest thing I could do right now. I already have more than I can do with anything less than an extremely efficient truck. that said, I'm a sign guy, and I love the idea. I'm gonna look into doing some of those in coroplast with steel stakes. thanks for the idea Irish :)
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  19. TonawandaNY

20. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member