1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to mount vibrator on tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by terrapro, Jan 31, 2013.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I just put a new karrier 80lb vibrator on an old curtis tailgate spreader I had laying around. I drilled holes and mounted it to the frame. Do you guys prefer mounted to the poly with backing plates or mounted to the metal frame?

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I mount mine where the hopper narrows down, about 4-6" from where the auger is at.
    Works great!
    I mount it directly to the plastic.

3. terrapro

from MI

Yeah I havn't loaded it up but with maybe 100lbs so I wonder if I load it up to capacity which is 350-400lbs it won't work as well. My thought was that I just didn't want to risk cracking the poly.

4. toyotaboy

toyotaboy Member
    from DE

the tgs07 i just purchased has the vibrator on the poly n close to the auger to break up clumps better and like bossplow2010 said 4"-6" above auger seems to do good

5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I've had 500 lbs of salt in mine at a time, works like a charm.

6. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

mount directly to the poly for maximum efficiency:mechanic:

7. terrapro

from MI

Ok what is the best for mounting plates/brackets to the poly, 1/8 plate 6"-8" square on inside and out?

8. Spool it up

4 bolts right on thru poly as low as poss. . no mounting plates on mine . outside . inside the hopper would destroy it quickly .

9. terrapro

from MI

Really I have heard of them cracking from being just on the poly. Thought you needed a mounting plate/washer of some form. I meant the mounting plate on th einside not the vibrator.

Well I am going to run it as is in the AM and if it isn't working as it's suppose to I'll put it to the poly.

10. Spool it up

vibrator should have a flat mounting surface with 4 bolt holes .use nylock nuts with thread lock pasteThumbs Up

11. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

me, i would put mounting plates on the inside and outside.

12. Spool it up

you'd be dampering the vibrator . the idea is to shake the poly . have not seen one crack yet .

13. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

I personaly talk to bob and holly at karrier often , there 20 minutes from home here in ohio. it should of come with a stainlees plate with 4 holes. that you mount on inside of hopper. and mounting it low is ideal. the 80 lber is built with tailgate spreaders in mind. you will ony crack the hopper if you leave it running and its empty.

14. terrapro

from MI

Thanks! Do you know how big the plate is?

I ordered mine from Russo Power Equipment and did not get the full package just the vibrator.

15. Spool it up

good luck Thumbs Up

16. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

the plat is just a bit longer and wider than the vibrator. its not crazy big. but it is stainless. and you should mount it with the cord pointing down.

17. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I'd mount it to the poly and put a plate.