1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to mount the mini light bar?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jo2fst4u, Dec 31, 2003.

1. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

Where to mount the mini light bar? center of roof or near the back of the cab near the cab light?

2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I just got a new Whelan mini light bar 17" magnetic mount, with my sun roof I was forced to mount it in the back portion of the roof. Only problem is I had to move the mag mounts inboard so they would sit equally on the roof rails. Also the farther back it is the longer the cig. cord has to be. I ran a wire from my dash ( in the truck, under carpet ) all way to the cab lite and came out with a QD so I can hook it up there in the future using the Quik Disconnects. When it's on it looks and works great, check out the pic. :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

that looks sharp like that

4. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

with my lumber rack I was forced to mount it on the rack a few inches behind the cab and up on 5" tall aluminum risers so the sides of the rack wouldn't obstruct the light. I also wired the light (whelen) into my cargo lamp so all I have to do is push the factory button!SWEET!
    -Jeff-

cleanplow.jpg

5. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Sorry....little hard to see. will go for a better pic!
    -Jeff-

6. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

mount it center square if at all possible, maximum viewing abilities in that are.

btw-that truck looks real nice eyesell!

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Thank you very much!! :D

8. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

Nice truck eyesell! I have one question on your mini LFL bar. How do you like it? I just ordered a whelen mini edge strobe bar. Its much longer though...28inches. Thanks,

9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I love it, its real bright which was a concern of mine. The place I bought it from had a giant display room that allowed me to power any one up and see how bright they were. This one was a bit pricey at $532.00 but was probably one of the brightest in it's class. :D

10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

mounted mine on my back rack. no magnets, just had to drill 2 small holes in the rack itself, but better than drilling it into the truck!!

11. Nfd9606

Nfd9606 Junior Member

Hi Guys,
    Check out www.strobesnmore.com , he has the same light bar for $399.00. It is the Whelen LFL 17" mini bar in amber. He also has the Whelen mini edge for the same money. I have done business with him and he is a stand up guy and backs his products. He also has some really good deals on hideaway strobe kits. I don't work for him, I just want to give my fellow plowsite members a heads up on a good deal when I see one.

Brian

12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Mine's magnetic so I put it right in the center of the top of my truck for max. visibility.

13. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

I mounted mine on the dashboard! I love seeing yellow dots everywhere when im plowing, ads a little more of a challenge :D

14. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Headache!:dizzy:

15. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

I picked up a Whelen Guardian Mini Lightbar in Blue for $112.00usd off of e-bay,shiped to my door up here in Canada.

I mounted it on the middle of the cab roof.

16. Big Ram Man

Big Ram Man Junior Member

Heres mine also mounted on a home made back rack. Its a 16"Star strobe mag mount with disconnect for easy removal. Hard wired to fuse box. Backup lights have been added sense pic.

imgp0090.jpg

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Hey one thing you guys got to remember when doing a light bar is How much power are you drawing? I just run an Ecco high output strobe. It pulls a little bit but nowhere near the draw of a light bar. Mine is a magnetic mount, when not plowing it's sitting on the floor of the truck. No one can then steal it off the truck. Being portable I don't hit it with a ladder or anything in the spring when I do painting. Make sure the truck still fits in garage after you mount the light. Lens are expensive to replace!