1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to mount the controller

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sailorman3, Dec 2, 2011.

1. sailorman3

sailorman3 Member

I just bought and had installed a 8 foot super duty boss plow on my 09 F250 which is a standard. I would like to mount the hand held controller somewhere where it will be easy to use and I won't have reach for it. I was thinking about making a bracket and bolting in right to my gear shifter so it will be close to my hand. Any pros and cons to that and also has anyone ever done this before . Thanks in advance.

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I am going to cut a 2x3 that snuggly fits in a cup holder and then mount the smartouch without the handle. I'll show pix once done.

3. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Mine has the handle, I wedge it between my seats and its right where I need it. When all done, I unplug and put it in the glove box...thought about every mount and came to the conclusion, that this is where I want it so: keep it simple.

4. jklawn&Plow

I currently wedge mine under the flip done center storage/arm rest and the seat also. Just afraid the seat and storage might have a mind of their own and move a wing when I'm not looking, got cloase a couple times.

5. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

i bought the dash mount for mine. it just has a little Velcro pad that it sticks to and then just hold it in my hand while plowing with the strap around my hand. works great.

i think that alot of it will come down to personal preference. you need to run it and plow with it a few times and you will get the feel of where you really want to put it.

6. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

I mount mine to the dash just in front of the shift lever.

this way my fingers operate the plow while my hand rests and shifts

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I mount all my controllers on the shifters. dont need to go looking for them and I can shift and move the plow at the same time.

8. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Yup! That's where I have mine. Works great. Sometimes I take it out and leave it on my lap.

9. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

industrial velcro on the dash from home depot. I put mine right next to my shifter below the heater controls (on chevy though) I also put velcro on my phone so it is right next to it, i have this in all my vehicles. The velcro holds up better than you would think, i get a couple years out of it before it starts to peel. it is very nice for the phone to be there for seeing who is calling (I leave it there when plowing and use speaker so i have my hands free :)) nice for using the phones GPS and checking Radar etc.

10. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

I have mounted both of my last two on the drivers door, on the flat area between the door/grab handle and the power window switch.

Works great for me, but I am left handed!

11. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I simply take a piece of velcro and wrap it around the handle of the plow control and the hand strap. It hangs on the end of the shifter by itself. I can shift the truck and run the plow with my right hand at the same time.

2912101700103439384S600x600Q85.jpg

When I'm not plowing I hang the controler on the left side of the speedo bezel. best part...it is cheap and works great!

2912101700103439384S600x600Q85.jpg

2875348100103439384S600x600Q85.jpg

12. MadeintheShade

MadeintheShade Member

I did that about a month ago and love it. velcro'd everything that is always flying around the cab. phone, plow controller, stereo remote, i even put velcro on the console and the back of my notebook.

13. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I know its not the same controller but i mounted mine to the shifter and love it! Hand never leaves the shifter!

[​IMG]

14. LushLawns

LushLawns Junior Member

I'm kinda liking old skools mounting system.

My first plow was a straight blade with the controller attached to the shifter of the 5spd manual transmission. I loved that system, it was effortless just became 2nd nature. Pretty much just like Hollands.

15. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Mine is close to old skools but mounted on the dash works perfect well of course you need to get used to it.

16. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Controler

I have mine mounted to the dash to the left of the steering wheel . I'm just so used to it being there from the old Fisher days , I'd be lost with it somewhere else ! After 35 years of it , you get kind of set in your ways ! You guys plowing with a manual transmission have my sympathy .Thumbs Up

17. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

oldsap,

I have always had LH controls. But, I'm proof you can teach an old dog new tricks. I have been plowing about as long as you. My first plows were Swensons with rocker style controls that I mounted on the left side of the dash.(Most of my friends ran Meyers with RH controls mounted below the dash...never made sense to me.) My next plows were Meyers that I re-wired to the original Swenson rocker controls.

......then I bought the Boss 8.2 V. There was no way I could use my now "over 30 year old" rocker controls. I decided on the hand control and I HATED it....at first. I could hardly reach the upper buttons when strapped around my hand. Next, I tried running the control, upside down, resting it on my left leg. Worked ok ...... until I had to turn the wipers on and the control ended up on the floor.

Thats when I mounted it on the end of the shift lever. I love it .... run the plow and shift the truck with one hand. now, I would never go back to the LH controls.

btw, I have always run automatics as well.

18. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I can learn new tricks when I have to , but learned long ago , not to fix things that aren't broke !

19. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I hear ya...I just could not figure out how to run a V plow with only two switches! :)

btw, I still have one set of the rocker controls... just in case! Thumbs Up

20. jklawn&Plow

Got mine mounted right near where I rest my arm. Used stcky velcro and some electrical tape temporarily. Might have a chance to try it out this season. No real snow yet, 1st for this area.

P1020671.jpg

P1020672.jpg