1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to mount power supply?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jmassi, Oct 30, 2006.

1. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Hey guys,
    Where would be a good place to mount a strobe power supply? I have an 06 2500hd ext cab std bed. I was thinking under the ext cab seat towards the back of the cab. Does it have to be mounted to a metal surface? I'd like to avoid drilling holes in my floorboard if I can. Where do you have yours mounted? Any input will help!

P.S. If you have pics, post 'em! :D
  2. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

someone posted this a while back asking the same question, i think the answers were, under one of the seats, or against the back cab wall,
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

That is correct, mine is under rear seat with a 1 inch hole in the floor board. Send me a email and I will send you picture's. flykelley930@aol.com

Regards Mike
  4. profire73

profire73 Member

Yup, behind the seat will work. It does not have to mounted to anything metal but it deos help. You should have some holes under the back floor that have metals plugs in them. GM has them on all there trucks so you should not have to drill any holes in the floor. Just look under the truck and you should be able to get them out with a screw driver and hammer.

Good Luck,

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I just got out from under my ext cab, there is a 2 inch plug in the floor towards the middle. I guess the number one problem with using that hole is how to seal that large of a hole after all the wire's are run through it. I drilled a 1 inch hole and then used silicon to seal it, IMOP a 2 inch hole is going to be too large to seal. I also ran all of my cables in flex conduit, that helped fill the hole.

Good Luck Mike
  6. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Thanks guys. That points me in the right direction. I appreciate all the input!:drinkup:
  7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

It does not have to be mounted to metal, but it helps dissipate heat, so I would try to if possible. Just make sure wherever you mount it, it can't get wet.