1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to Mount Module on GMC??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RepoMan207, Oct 24, 2009.

1. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Where do you mount your Isolation Modules and motor really.

I am currently wiring my 02 GMC 6.0 with a multiplex / non multiplex system with a 3 port isolation module. I currently only have one battery so all the wiring, ISO, & motor relay has to be routed on the drivers side.....needless to say it's a little tight on room.

Does anyone have any pictures of there setups or general descriptions? .

Also, for those of you with a 3 plug set up, do you connect the 11 pin light harness and the control harness together while the plow isn't connected...or are they left separately.

Check out the mess I had to remove before installing.

truck2.jpg

102_1310.jpg

102_1311.jpg

102_1313.jpg

102_1314.jpg

truck2.jpg

102_1310.jpg

102_1311.jpg

102_1313.jpg

102_1314.jpg

2. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

My solonoid is mounted on the plastic fan shroud....

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Don't have photos at the momment, but our 02 and 05 with extremeV's the module is mounted to the black brace on the drivers side near the window. Ziptied to the underside of it, leaves room there for extra wire to be tighted up too. they don't have relay's under the hood, but other trucks and before changed those blades the relay was screwed to the fan shroud more or less. I'll get some photos later if no one else does before me.

We had one truck with the same old relay setup located behind the headlight, we let the dealer remove that and install the new blade. wasn't going to deal with that for the little extra money it cost to have them do it, plus they were taking the old blade anyways

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Iso module can go right next to your brake master cylinder...you don't necessarily need to mount it either. But if you want to, you can mount it to the side of your fuse block with velcrow or double sided tape kind of stuff. On my truck its placed right where that right angle fender support bracket thing is in your pic (same thing that Bruce is describing), I removed mine, if you go that route, be sure its out of the way of the hood hinge

5. azandy

azandy Member

I mount the solinoid near the hood hinge. You can drill it to the firewall or if it congested, hang it from the little cross piece by the hinge. I always screw light relays etc to the side of the fuse box drivers side. Most we have Boss and they are in a 4 pack inline. You can use 1/2 " screws and not touch anything inside. It's kinda open there. Try not to leave too much between the grill and condenser

6. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I used the heavy duty velcro and put it on top of the electrical box. Just have to make sure its far enuff to the motor side that the hood brace doesn't hit it when hood is closed. Mine isn't done yet but will be tomorrow.

[​IMG]

7. bigdeezle442

bigdeezle442 Junior Member

I have mine in the same place as X.system. Selenoid is mounted on the radiator support in the unused bolt hole. Have had it that way for almost a year with no problems.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thanks for the replies guys. I Had originally thought about mounting it on the fender wall under the fender support bracket...But I think the hinge folds down to far and will crush it. I have some good ideas to continue with now. Thanks again. :waving:

What about the 3 plug set up....How do you have the connectors connected to the grill if you do at all? Do you plug the 11 pin light harness into the 7 pin control harness when the plow isn't connected?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

10. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Big zip tie

i put my one on the side of the electrical box by the brake booster with BIG ZIP TIE it well come off if need to get in the box with out cutting the tie i have the plugs of the mod is facing down and i have a 4 plug so a 3 well fit NPtymusic

11. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

What is that isolation module for? What plows need it, and what plows don't?

12. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

1. I didn't feel like having 3 plugs sticking out of my grill, so I routed them to the hole in the bumper next to the license plate.

I just reach in and pull them out when I need them.

2. I put my iso module on top of the black fuse box just like x.system did above. Just to reiterate, make sure you put the iso module far enough to the motor(inside) otherwise the hood will crush the module (or not be able to shut).

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

Now that my camera is back up & operational I thought I should throw up some pictures of my plow install and where I put everything for future reference.

This was an easy install, however time consuming, but I also was taking the extra time being anal about wire routing & what not. Speaking of which, even though it looks like a rats nest of wiring, it actually is quite organized.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  14. RepoMan207

from Maine

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

16. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Perhaps I'm a bit slow, but I don't see an unused bolt hole spoken of a few times... Anyone have a pic by chance? Truck is an '02 GMC 2500HD w/ the 8.1L.

Thanks!

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

I drilled a single hole down through the fender well...just below the fuse box, then used a bolt and nut to secure it.

[​IMG]

OR

I see a unused bolt hole right here.......upper right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  18. RepoMan207

from Maine

The solenoid is flanged enough that you can simply unbolt any number of fasteners and sandwich it in between.

19. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I think I'll probably use the spot you did. I'm assuming the difference is my 8.1L, as on my truck the radiator support cover looks different in that spot and there is an OEM bolt holding it on, hence my confusion.

I was hoping for a bit more customized installation instructions from Fisher, but it appears those don't exist the way they do for push plates? I'm a bit lost as to what I need to do for my truck, and don't want to hack it. I'm starting to consider, ashamed to say it, bringing it somewhere to have the wiring done as I'm a little intimidated. Where should I run the control harness into the cab? I don't see any existing holes that I can use, so I assume just open up a 5/8" hole where its clear on the inside and stick a grommet in there?

Also the instructions I found say to connect this cable and that cable to "a large" or "a small" terminal on the solenoid, but don't list which one - I would have assumed it would matter, does it not???

Where should I route all the other wiring for the headlights/turn signals on the truck side to keep things tidy?

I've only dealt with conventional Speedcast setups before, and for those I usually just used a six pin on-off-on switch to control the lights so this is really foreign for me...