1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where To Mount Flashlights?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DeereFarmer, Dec 23, 2007.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Those style mounts are cool looking and kinda hi-tec but they scratch the living heck outta the anodized aluminum flash lights.... I went back to the plastic "broom handle" style holders that Mag-Lite sells..
  3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

did you get a rechargable or d-cell the rechargable on the charger have a plate that comes off the charger you can mount and then clip the charger back to that plate
  4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

A little off topic but FYI....

Instead of using a flashlight while doing walks for instance, I bought one of those sprortsman headband lights...its essentially a headband with a small flashlight on it...works great--- got it at Walmart.

Much like a minors hat, you can point your head anywhere and not worry about adjusting anything....great for working on stuff too when you need both hands. Only problem is it takes the small batteries so your not lighting up yankee stadium and you're not using it for several weeks on a set of batteries...other than that, its the best deal going. Its all plastic so rain/snow don't matter either.

I know this doesnt answer your question but I thought I'd throw it in as I was looking for all kind of flashlight mounts for the blower and found this to be superior to all fixed versions that I found. Not sure but I think it was about $13 or so.
  5. CUCV

CUCV Junior Member
    from NH

I have maglites mounted to the left of the drivers seat on my 86 and 84 Chevy K30's. I have one mounted next the the brake controller under the center dash on my 07 silverado and one mounted under the glove box on my 06 silverado. Definitely nice to have them close by.
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I mounted my flashlight behind and next to my drivers seat on the B pillar. (I have a reg cab). I bought one of those recharging lights at our local Police and fire supply store and wired it into the truck so it charges while the ignition is turned on. Works great, but it was a little pricey.
  7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I carry a surefire G2 or 9Z on my belt. There is usually one in the truck console also. In the previous plow truck I mounted the maglite on maglite's brackets on the transmission hump.
  8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Just a quick story,, dont mount it where it could hit you in an accident:nono:. Trust me, a three d cell mag light to the back of the head does not feel very good... I was working for my bro inlaw and hit a stopped car at 65 mph. It was on a highway, not my fault, i switched lanes and bam:eek:,, a stopped car. The mag light was mounted on the pillar behind the driver. And after smashing into the dash and steering wheel,(no seat belt,, my bad) the mag light hit me from behind....:nod:

After posting and re reading this to make sure it was right, i looked at the smiley right below and couldnt help but laugh. Its probably what i looked like . LOL
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  9. ken75ranger

ken75ranger Junior Member

On our SD work trucks we mounted them on the floor right between the door and the drivers seat. We just used some self drilling screws to put the mounts in.
  10. streetsurfin'

Very good point. In a case like that, if moving it isn't an immediate option, maybe the use of a velcro strap screwed down between the mounting brackets would be a good idea.
  11. DeereFarmer

It's not a rechargable one. I'll make sure I don't mount in anywhere that will cause an injury if there is an accident. I like the idea of inbetween the driver's door and the drivger's seat or maybe on the transmission hump. I have a brushed aluminum one, so I liked that mount because it matches hahaha.
  12. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

13. streetsurfin'

First Time Out, are you sporting the new LED head or krypton bulb in you new light? I'm wondering how they compare. I may want to convert my 5D to led.
  14. DeereFarmer

It had the LED setup. I love it. I compared it to an older one I have and LED blows the old one out of the water. I cans ee probably 50 feet further with the LED and it is clearer. It has nice brite-white light to it. Well worth it.
  15. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I was just looking at Streamlights Ultra Stinger for my truck light. 295 Lumens:eek:!
  16. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Mine is mounted as close to the floor as possible. That sounds like it sucked though.
  17. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Husky miners LED light like Kramer was talking about that I keep in the glove box. It is SOO much brighter than my oler Mag light. I hold it in my hand or put it on my head for working on stuff.

Not sure about mounting between the door and the drivers seat. I'm always kicking off snow to get back in. I know their tuff, but I'd find a dry spot to mount it.
  18. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

Mag light mounting location

Depends on the truck, I have put them on the B post, side of overhead consoles, inside of the lid on center (seat) consoles. I have found the plastic clips from MagLite are the best choice.
  19. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I haave mine mounted between the seat and the door with one of these from Pit Pal
    The light does not get damaged as it has rubber in the mount.
  20. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I have a 1 mill CP spot that I can plug into the cig lighter or power point and sometimes I bring a nice flashlight but my experience is that if you leave them in a freezing truck it KILLS the batteries.