1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to mount a 2nd battery???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dieselman19, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

I have 1997 F-350 with the 351 motor and i need to mount a second battery but i was looking under the hood for a spot but i cant find one, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Ill be in a similar situation soon, and Im sure Ill just mount it in the bed right behind the cab using a battery box. You can put one inside the vehicle if you are using a sealed battery like an Optima.

Its also been strongly recommended that you use two brand new equal batteries, or it wont work right. Youll always be chasing the weak battery or something. Im no electrician.

3. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

The diesel of the same year ran dual batteries, one on each side by the headlights. You may want to look around a salvage yard or such and see if you can get the parts off of a PowerStroke Diesel equipped '95-97, possibly even the older Ford diesels. Chris

4. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

5. esshakim

esshakim Senior Member

Same Problem

I just purchased a brand new Dodge Ram 2500 heavy duty truck for plowing. I wanted to know where is the best place to mount a second battery.

6. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

Nice Nice job!!! That came out mint!!! if you dont mind can you tell me a few more things because I think that is the rute im going to go. How did you wire it and what size wire did you use? Did you have to replace both batteries or just add in the new one? do bothe batteries have to match? Thanks and once again GREAT JOB:salute:

7. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

Hummerslawncare, I used 4 ga welding cable for the cables, they both run straight to the primary battery. My oem battery is basically new so I just added another 65 series battery as the aux. I believe that 2 battery's wired together is the best bet for a plow as you have a high draw for short period of time when the plow is moved. I know some other's use separate battery's and isolators but I don't think that system is as good for a plow. Let me know if you need any more info.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might consider putting a battery (in a battery box) in your across bed tool box. No mounting hassles,no conflicts, just run 4 gage welding cables to it. Someone in the area must sell cable by the foot? Solder a ring terminal on the ends for the other battery connections and your in business. You could even wire in a trickle charger to make sure both batteries are charged before the storm.

9. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Find a welding shop, they almost always sell wiring. THat is where i got my 2/0, welding wire has more strands and is more flexible and won't crack with the vibration like standard batt cable. But like other people said, Ford ran one behind each headlight. I am moving both of mine in the cab behind the seats with my iso. You can run a normal batt in the cab, that is why the batt boxes they sell have vent hoses on them. You just run it outside through the floor, like any install in a trunk.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure all places where the cables pass thru a metal bulkhead you have a grommet installed around the edge to protect the cable. A piece of plastic wire loom protector on it would help too...Tie cables down where you can with heavy duty wire ties. I have seen battery cables with a direct short fry instantly,glowing red till the cable or battery gives up the ship.
    ( I have seen it on serous car accidents I have been on,that's why a hose line is pulled and charged,the battery cable is cut/disconnected ASAP too)