1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to mount 2nd battery 88 F250

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by whdahel, Jan 22, 2010.

1. whdahel

whdahel Junior Member

where is the best place to mount 2nd battery?? not to much room under the hood. I have 1 1000 CA battery now and would like to put in a second. any ideas??
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

got any pictures?
  3. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

Ford almost always buts the second battery on the opposite side of the engine compartment. You may have to remount the air filter or the vacuum canisters.
  4. hugger94

hugger94 Junior Member

I agree with Grumpy, both of my last two F250 (diesel) have had the two batteries mounted right behind the radiator support on both sides of the radiator with the connecting positive cable routed across the top of the radiator support in front of the radiator.

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Put er in the bed of the truck. Get some cables made up and route them to it. Great for boosting other equipment. Or a link in charging up the battery on yer sander.
  6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

why does everyone put a second battery in their trucks? ive been plowing for 17 years and the only trucks with multiple were diesels, never had a problem were i thought they were needed.
  7. whdahel

whdahel Junior Member

in the words of Tim allen " more power" ar ar ar ar! looks like i would have to move some stuff just curious what others have done. thanks every one
  8. Brad Ent

Brad Ent Junior Member
    from CT

Our Current 87 F-250 gasser has the stock battery on the passengers behind the radiator support.
    The secondary battery would go in the same location on the drivers side and mounts to the inner fender.
    You will need to relocate the overflow/washer fluid tank.
    If you are installing the additional battery for capacity, consider installing a battery isolation module.
    What is your alternator rated for??
  9. whdahel

whdahel Junior Member

I think it is only rated at 75 amp.... Isolation module?? how does it work?? I know a bigger alt will help, However I would have do do some upgrading to the factory wiring I think
  10. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

When I owned my 91 F250, I went with the easiest way I could think of. Some of you might laugh, but I used it this way for years.

I made a removable holder mounted right to the plow frame. Ran some 1 gauge wire with a quick disconnect.

11. Brad Ent

Brad Ent Junior Member
    from CT

As the name implies, the isolation module isolates the primary battery from the aux battery.
    I would upgrade your alternator first.
  12. whdahel

whdahel Junior Member

how does it isolate it??
  13. Brad Ent

Brad Ent Junior Member
    from CT