1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to look for short in RT-2 Vplow??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by TurboPlow, Apr 8, 2009.

1. TurboPlow

TurboPlow Junior Member

..If I leave the electrical unit plugged in..( the square block and the double hose looking one) my batterys will go deads in about 24 hours..I didnt have time yet to look for the short..any suggestions where or what to look for..the battery is fine as long as I disconnect the two above mentioned connections..shorted motor maybe??? thanks in advance..its on a 1994 dodge diesel btw...tks
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A dead battery isn't usually due to a short in the plow side harness as nothing on the plow side is hot with the truck off when the controller is wired correctly.

It's usually caused by the original installer incorrectly using a constant hot power source to power the controller and the owner leaving the controller in the down/float position while the truck is off, thus causing the down/float coil to draw power and eventually killing the battery. This is the only way you'll have any amp draw on the plow side with the key in the 'off' position.

Only other (and very unlikely possibility in your case) is the pump motor solenoid is shorted internally causing a slight power draw out to the pump motor. Like I said though, very unlikely...99% of the time it's the previous situation as I mentioned.
  3. TurboPlow

TurboPlow Junior Member

..thanks for the response! I'LL check it over the weekend..!!