1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to Install Flood Lights, How Bright?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by espyj, Sep 26, 2011.

1. espyj

espyj Member

I have a dump truck that I bought late last winter. I haven't plowed with it yet. I've noticed this summer that the backup lights are completely useless and they just won't cut it this winter plowing.

I'd like to add a flood light (or two) to make it easier. I'm looking at this SoundOff 1400 Lumen LED

1st Question: Will one 1400 light be enough? Do I need two? Or do I go with two smaller lights?

2nd Question: Where should I mount these on the truck? I'm going to have them wired to a switch, not wired to the backup lights. Here's a picture of my truck:

I'd prefer not to put them down on the back bumper where they'll get blocked up with snow. And they need to be a bit protected for the summertime when I'm hauling rock. Don't want the loader dropping rock on the lights when they're loading me up.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I plowed with a truck just like that several times. You don't need light behind the truck so much, the sides are where you are looking. I would put them up on the headboard, near those amber LEDs. You could even add a piece of steel over the top to protect them.
  3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Those ones you're looking at are pretty expensive. I just ordered some from a guy on ebay for $69/pair. I should have them within a couple days and will see how bright they are. They're supposed to be 1380 lumens, so very similar to those that you're looking at.
  4. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Are you putting a v box in the back? I had mine mounded on the side of the spreader and used a trailer wire and plug to wire them into my back-up lights
  5. espyj

espyj Member

Truck has a tailgate sander, but its not a bad idea to mount them to that. Then I'm not worried about damaging them in the summer. I don't want them wired to my backup lights though, so I can't use the trailer wiring harness