1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to guy bulk salt in Akron, OH & how much

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by overdhill1, Feb 18, 2010.

1. overdhill1

overdhill1 Junior Member

Where can I buy bulk salt in Akron, OH and what is the price?

2. overdhill1

overdhill1 Junior Member

How much salt for a 7+ acre lot.

Right now, the general contractor I am working for is only allowing me to use 6 - 80# bags to do a 7+ acre lot. They wanted me to do it with four. How much salt should it take in reality, two times, three times, four times that amount?

3. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

earth n wood should sell it up that way

4. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

and yes that amount seems really low i can't imagine it melts much of anything at 6 bags besides maybe the travel lanes somewhat

5. overdhill1

overdhill1 Junior Member

That is how they make their money. How much do you think I should be using?

6. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

we have it.....call Joe Kelly 610-497-9390

7. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

it's hard to say without seeing the layout but i'd say at least 3x that amount depending on how good the rock is and how far your spreader will throw it

8. overdhill1

overdhill1 Junior Member

Salt is $180 per ton at Earth and wood. Bags are $184 per ton. Is there any cheaper places?

9. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

way cheaper

we are way cheaper.....call us 610 497 9390 and quick delivery!
    ussmileyflag

10. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Should be more like "Rape & Pillage"

11. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

7 acres would be around 3 tons if they want the whole lot melted off maybe they just want the drive lanes done or just around the building.

12. Westhardt Corp.

That's more like it. 480# might do, say the handicapped spaces and the cross walks.

Maybe.

13. kimber

kimber Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm out of Cleveland and can quote you. dave@snowfighterssupply.com, or call me at 216-904-6538

14. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

$180/ton is crazy high. up here in mich. i am paying $75/ton delivered to my shop.

15. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

There is no way that can be right & bags aren't sold by the ton. They are sold individual or by the pallet. Either 50# or 80# bags. There are 30- 80's to a pallet = 2,400 #

I would call and get the correct pricing or move on to a place that's honest.

16. Westhardt Corp.

I have seen 40 bag pallets of 50# from some companies, which makes an even ton. It's a bit odd, as standard is 49 bags, for a 2450# pallet. But, it actuality I think 40 bags makes a bit more sense.

And it's less likely to flip over your SS.

:laughing:

17. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

$180/ton is rip off....I can ship from delaware to wisconsin for $150/ton so he's really gouging

18. overdhill1

overdhill1 Junior Member

Here's the website with the price. http://earthnwood.com/pages/index.html
    I know bags aren't sold by the ton, I was just using that as a comparison. There should be a huge price difference between the two.

19. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'm familiar w/ the hudson location, as I drive past it often. I honestly don't know why or how that place is even there. I've seen their pricing on landscape goods, which makes sense to me why the place is always a ghost town. As far as their salt goes, the bag material sounds a little high, but the bulk price looks like a mistake. The bulk price is about 2.5 X's what it should be, on the higher end.

If their trying to pull the old salt shortage crisis pricing, tell them what they can do w/ their salt. Because that really hasn't been a problem this year around here. Maybe give these other guys like Kimber a try. I just had the impression that he was selling large scale orders, but maybe I'm wrong about that. You can go almost anywhere and beat that bulk price. Must be some really special salt they have there!

20. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

I agree....u can find it everywhere cheaper! lol
    I have been hearing of shortages and getting cutoff but it's been 1 town can't seem to get it but another 20 miles away can....wierd?
    I know in st. louis,lower indianna,parts of ohio and west va are having some problems but not major ones....no shortage yet but the bins are getting low and thats when u get cut off....when companies worry about the the contracts they have to satisfy.ussmileyflag

just looked at this earth and wood.....good god man ur not even buying from a middle man....hes an end user.......find a kimber...us....somebody other than an end user just reselling!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010