1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to go to get snowfall info?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mojob, Oct 10, 2006.

1. mojob

mojob Member

I tried doing a search on this subject but it was like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm trying to put together a seasonal contract for residential customers and I need to find out how many snow storms we get on average. Does anyone know of a magic website where you put in your location and out pops this info? Also, I'm offering single push prices of $25 for 2 car drives plus the walkway and $30 for 3 car drives. They average about 20' deep and walks about 60-70' long. Is this a fair price? One more thing, I have an apartment complex(18 buildings) with a 5 acre total footprint that wants me to provide snow removal service. What info should I post so I could get some help on this site with the bid? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This site will give you total annual snowfall for several years: http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/state.php3?c=US&s=&refer=

For my purposes, I divide the average yearly snowfall by six (6), then multiply by what I charge a given area for a 7" snowfall (using 7" as an "average" storm in this area). The result would be my seasonal price.

So, for instance, if I gave them a price structure of:

3" - 6" - $30
    over 6" to 9" - $45
    over 9" to 12" - $60

and this area gets an average of 77"

then - 77÷6 = 12.83 (I drop off the 0.83). So 12($45) gives me a seasonal price of $540.

As far as a dollar amount to charge, you're on your own. Too many variables and local customs will dictate this more than anything you get here.

3. Mick

from Maine

I just got a PM that someone is having trouble with this site. Is this happening to others? It should link to a listing of States. Click on your state and when that opens, click on the city nearest you. That should bring up several lines of data for precipitation and temperature for the past few years and broken down by monthly averages.

4. mojob

mojob Member

Thanks for the info, mick. Is the "six" the number of months? BTW, the site is working, but I was hoping to get the number of snow storms per season to figure out how many times I'll have to plow. Are those your residential per push prices?

5. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Working fine down here :nod: ayuh

hillndale

6. Mick

from Maine

No

"Are those your residential per push prices?"

Not neccessarily. Could be for some particular site, though.