1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to get power from?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by trfrench, Oct 25, 2009.

1. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

I just finished installing some reverse lights for my truck. I wanted to hook the wires up directly to the battery. The only problem was that I couldn't get the cable hooked back up to the battery after I got the extra wire on. So, I hooked it up to the solenoid. Is this okay or should I try to get power from somewhere else? Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe try the AUX wire on your 7-pin providing you have one. That should have power all the time. I hooked mine directly to the battery with no problems.

3. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

it's fine...

4. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

i picked up some new inserts for the end of my cables for prolly $3 apiece at carquest that replaced the stock ones and allowed me an accessory pos and neg. work great, but the solenoid will work fine if you want to leave them there

5. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Did you fuse protect the wire?

6. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

Thank you so much for your responces. Yes everything is fuse protected. How hard is to replace the ends of the cables? I would rather have them hooked to battery for some reason.

7. Dissociative

don;t cut up your cables over reverse lights...the solenoid is fine...its hooked to battery with a 4g usually...

really....leave it it's fine.....not worth the effort to change....i run tons of stuff off the solenoid post....no issues.

8. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

Dissociative-i agree its fine, just giving him another option.

trfrench-you simply unscrew the wire from the battery, use a pair of pliers to pop out the stock cable screw (just held in by a little rubber flange on the boot) and then pop the accessory one back in its place-screw it into the battery, then attach any accessory cables to the stud on the outside of the boot, i dont have pics of mine handy, but really its simple, no cutting, no anything...5 minute job max. hope this helps!

9. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

Ok, I will leave it as is. Thanks guys for your help.

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

11. Dissociative

very good idea.......i have a whole drawer full of those from car stereo days..

12. Dissociative