1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to get auger motor ONLY for salt dogg v-box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by IHI, Jul 8, 2011.

1. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I got my 1.5yrd Salt Dogg tore apart, started out I was putting a new carrier bearing on the front of the auger shaft, and with things being rusted; it turned into more work and now is completely reassembled.

I took the electric motor off the gearbox that runs the auger, and obviously there is a bearing issue internally since it's very "catchey" when you rotate the shaft with a screwdriver, and since I want this thing is ready to run shape for the next buyer (I'm going to sell it after the rebuild) I obviously want to replace the motor so there are'nt any issues.

On the motor it lists a this:
    Buyers Products
    BP801-G01
    P/N 3006832
    Made in China

I've typed the P/N in and all I come up with is the complete assembly, motor attached to gearbox. The gearbox is still smooth as silk, so as most of us, I would just like to replace the bad part...which is the electric motor only.

So, does anybody have any idea where to get JUST this electric motor? or is the company smart and only offering this as a complete assembly to boost profits?:( Any links, help, would be greatly appreciated so i can get this unit all put back together and listed for sale.

Thanks
    Josh

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It is available as just the motor. Stop and see your local dealer. It is a recent release so they may have to call tech for the part number but it is available.

3. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I've seen they have an "upgrade" with p/n listed as 3009995 which is supposed to have higher hp/tq than the original unit...but so far all I've found is that p/n with the auge gearbox attached, which I dont need obviously.

I would be much happier paying somebody else than our local theif/stealership, we only have two and they're both off their rockers with everything, and put the screws to ya if you bring something in to get fixed. My latest incident with the one, plow did'nt work, (keep in mind I have two spare unit, complete, for a uni plow on the shelf, but was hopign for a quick fix on the unit mounted on the plow. 2 days after dropping the truck/plow off I get a call saying it was ready to pick up and everything was working great. I gets down there and was handed a $1000 bill for a new valvebody.

So, next year I took one of the plows into the other only dealer in town, told them about some seals needed replaced, and to go through and give it a look see, if something else is iffy, give me a call and we'll go from there before you just fix things....$895.93 later I picked that truck up and was pizzzzed off obiously, instead of doing seals, they just installed new rams/cylinders-that were obviously rebuilt as I was told they had to keep mine as cores.

So ta hellll with both these crooks.

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Last time I had an electric motor take a crap I took it to a local rebuilder and they fixed up my unit for far less than a new motor would have cost. You may want to check around for a shop that rebuilds alternators and starters.

5. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

We had one guy, a mom and pop shop that we used to take anything electric too, and like ya said, he'd do it for about 25% of new unit pricing....sadly, his health got really bad and they shut the doors:( there are only a few other's in town, and when I'd take my construction tools in with electric motor issues, they'd tell me they dont work on this/that, cant get parts, etc...

Right now a forum member is checking into this for me, so hopefully this may get resolved soon:)

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Did you check Central Parts Warehouse ? There prices are ussally pretty good, or grainger or napa can both ussally cross reference stuff.

7. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Everybody sells the motor/gearbox together..best price I found was a place out of Ohio, $289 shipped for the complete unit....but I'm hoping I can get just the motor only and possibly save some money. What makes this search even funner is that they upgraded the motor and gave it more hp/tq and a different part number.

Hoping to hear back from a member on this forum today sometime, and I have a email sent in to a dealer an hour south of me I found.

8. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Im sorry i kinda skimmed this thread but I would just like to let you know. I had my truckcraft spreader's spinner motor go out 2 hours before a storm last year. Called the dealer they wanted 800+ for a new one. Got the SAME MOTOR off Northerntool.com For 200 bucks! Check there!

9. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I got very lucky, figured since all else was failing, I took it to a different electrical shop I found in the yellow pages. Guy called an hour later and said, the motor is like brand new inside but the front shaft bearing is bad....$42.00 for parts/labor to replace the bearing. Lots better than a $3-400 assembly that is/was not needed.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Saltdogg has a part number but they don't have a price nor is it available for delivery yet. At least that is what they told us when we tried to order them.

11. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

From a financial standpoint it would be stupid for them to release just motor only...more profit selling the complete motor/gear drive assembly. Just sucks for the end user when he has a small issue since it requires a big financial outlay to remedy it.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well since the saltdogg complete assembly is cheaper them most of their competitors motor or gearbox only it really is not out of line price wise in fact it is cheap by comparison.

13. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I agree, but as an end user it just stinks that if the electric motor goes bad, which price wise does'nt amount to a hill of beans to replace in any other application, they make you buy an entire assembly.

Kinda like if the engine in your truck took a crap and the only way to replace it was to buy a new engine and tranny together....for manufacturer GREAT, for consumer...stinks.