1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to get a u edge in southern ontario

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by butter, Nov 12, 2001.

1. butter

butter Junior Member

been reading alot about the urethane edges and now want to try one.went tpo my locate plow store where i get all my parts and installs done and asked them about it. the said they have never heard of such a thing and are very skeptical about how it will last or work. i told him by the sound of it, these edges might be the way . if anybody could let me know where i can get an edge in southern ontario that would be great. i found one place but it is in the sault. to far to drive and would like to find a place closer to cut down shipping costs.

let it start fallin white gold:cool:

2. MARKMWJ

MARKMWJ Junior Member

There is a place in Livonia Mi about 15 miles from windsor that should have them. there called
    Anglos brothers in livonia.mi

buddy of mine use one once but it didnt last to long here in MI

3. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I'm not so sure that Angelo's has urethane. Seems to me that they advertised rubber. Rubber is by no means comparable to urethane. Go to www.mptek.com and they will have a listing of someone who can help you.

Bruce

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

This came up on a different forum, the place located up in the Sault is probably the same one that is listed in the MPT site.

I don't know if this is true, but I recall hearing/reading a while ago that John Deere might be distributing urethane edges/spinners up here in Canada.

A quick call to a Deere dealer should at least tell you if that's true or not, butter. Hopefully it IS true, if not I'm afraid I don't have any other leads. :(

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Edges can be shipped anywhere in the world.
    Shipping is expensive, but in the long cheaper than not running urethane.
    Call me at 860-859-0739 and I will be glad to direct you to where you can get one.
    Dino

6. diginahole

diginahole Member

I checked out the local Deere dealer here recently, they never heard of such an animal. I am going to give the guy in SS Marie a call tomorrow. I haven't had any luck finding one in the Toronto area either. I would bet it would still be cheaper to ship it down from SS Marie than bringing one up over the border. This is the address of the guy I found on the MPT website.

King Welding & Ind. Supply
    669 John Street
    Sault Ste. Marie, ON
    P6C 6C3
    John King
    705-254-4454 phone
    705-254-4466 fax

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Diginahole - thanks for the info on Deere, looks like I was wrong there. :(

I agree with you that even with shipping from the Sault it might be cheaper to go that route than buying from the US side of the border - since our government will be sure to get their piece of the pie by charging duty and taxes on the US $ amount. :mad:

8. butter

butter Junior Member

i called to the sault today and talked to Jan and he was suppose to call me back this afternoon ,but didn't receive his call. i'll try back tomorrow as they are probably getting snow up there now.lol. called a polyurethane company that maked rollers for industrial use and they sell sheets and bars of urethane and they gave me a price of $700 for 2"x8"x8'long piece. don't know the quality that they quoted compared to what plowking35 has, but they said that was the best quality and durability. hope what they quoted me was plated with gold and was indestructable. i'm going to call plowking35 tomorrow and get prices and where abouts to get my hands on one of these, and what the best overhang is and so on. by the looks of things i've got some time to switch cutting edges as its still suppose to be 13-15celcius this week where i live, so no real threat of snow let alone frost.if i find a place or a price from the sault or wherever i'll post it for all us canucks up here eh.

9. diginahole

diginahole Member

Butter- before you order see if you can get a deal on shipping 2 units, I'd be happy to drive to Burlington if it could save both of us enough money. You can give me a call at 1-800-706-2228 from 416 or 905 area code or (905) 985-6857.

Blair
    Personalized Landscaping Ltd.

10. butter

butter Junior Member

as soon as i know $$$$$$$ i'll give u a call blair. funny i was just thinking the same thing and was going to post that, seems u beat me to it.anybody else want in on a possible discount,as i'll find out prices tomorrow, and order the next day if anybody else wants to try one too, i'll post it right away and see who's interested. too bad i didn't research this earlier as some buddies went right past the sault moose hunting. o well.talk too ya tomorrow.

11. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Butter - I'm interested in giving urethane a try too, so count me in! I'd be looking for an 8.5' piece. Although I'm a little closer to the Sault (Orillia) it's probably not close enough to make a difference......................

12. butter

butter Junior Member

called to the sault today and he told me the price was $44 linft for 1.5" and 51.77 lin/ft for 2" thick piece. i am still waiting to here back from a urethane manufacture i called from the yellow pages. he said they do sell them,but, its not that common for the smaller plows, but they do sell them for the big highway trucks. i will call hiim tomorrow and hopefully he can give us a better price. i will post the other price as soon as i know and we can decide from there. if he ends up being more than the sault store i think i'm going to give them my business as i want to be the envy of all the plowers down here in my area, as none of them beleive how they will ever work. i'll show them. maybe become a distributor down here and make them eat all there words about it. check in tomorrow night, i;ll try to post it a little earlier than tonight as i just got done putting my salter back together whoohoo.

13. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Butter:

I haven't budgetted in U-edges for this winter so I won't be buying/trying one now, but I'll be curious to here how you make out.

There's a Burlington guy "Backyard Lawn Care" who's a member of SIMA...are you him?

Mayonnaise...er, Dave

14. butter

butter Junior Member

cutntrim no i'm not him. couldn't get a hold of the sales rep today so as soon as i do i will post it. i wish people would call u back when they say they will, instead of playing phone tag. well thats enough it was jhust one of those days.arghhhh:mad: