1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to get a truck!!! What Truck??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Husky, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Husky

Husky Junior Member

Well, simple enough questions,,whats a good truck to start off in this business doing drives?

if u like a truck u like a truck,,where do you get it,,,do you guys have a nice place you like to look online?

can a f-150 silverado 1500 and trucks this size do this kind of work,,or must we climb higher?

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You would probably be best off getting a 3/4 ton or 1 ton if you plan on doing much work with it. A 1/2 will work but might as well spend a bit more money for beefier components and the ability to cary a bigger blade. I personaly would try to stay away from fords TTB front suspention and make sure you get a SFA if you go ford. Also manuals can suck for plowing.

If you dont mind a road trip heading to a less rusty state may be a good option to get a better truck for less $. Here in IL at least finding a truck thats not rusting through can be difficult and they want a premium. This is for older modles anyway.

Dont know your pricerange?

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an F-150, it works great with a 7'6" plow. I plow 37 driveways and the truck has pushed tons of snow, much more then you'd expect for a 1/2 ton. However i would not want to do any more then diveways with a 1/2 ton. If you plan on doing commercial then get a 3/4 ton. If you are going to be using a spreader than get a 3/4 ton. If you are using the truck mainly for work then get a 3/4 ton. If your looking for something that will be nice for small drives, ok to drive around all the time and will push some snow then get a 1/2 ton.

I like to look around on autotrader.com, never liked any other auto websites. Don't like vehix and while some like it I think ebay is useless for finding trucks, you may find some good used plows though.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  4. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

2500 HD chevrolet- 8' Western Pro/Ultra mount

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

if your just starting out get a chevy or gmc with 5.3 v8 they come built to order with snowplow prep and trailering

6. DJC

DJC Senior Member

all I can say is...........FORD !!!!!!!

7. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Cummins Turbo Diesel

Go with the Dodge Ram 2500 and you will not be disapointed. I have had Fords for years and the Ram 2500 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel is the strongest truck on the market today.

8. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

here is an idea dually diesel exteded cab match it up with a blizzard 8-10 and some pretty rotating yellow lights

what a setup

chevy of course good luck this year boys

9. Tim C

Tim C Member

Just traded in my dodge 1998 2500-v-10, for a chevy 2500hd/allison 8.1 big block attached my own 8' fisher mm

Can't wait till the snow flys!!!!

Tim C LET IT SNOW!!!!!!:drinkup: