1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to get 2500 torsion bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GripTruk, Dec 19, 2005.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I have a tahoe and have read here and other places that the 3/4 ton torsion bars will be a direct swap for the 1/2 ton bars on my truck.
    I haven't tried calling junkyards just yet but they don't list it on car-part.com so i'm worried i'm gonna get the run around from them. Obviously I could get them from the dealer but i'm sure they want like $300 a piece or something like that, i'm sure I could get a used pair for $50 if I can find them.

Anyone had success finding them at a junkyard or know of a place online to buy aftermarket or used torsion bars?

-Jer

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe track down some of the 4x4 guys that lift their trucks. Most swap out the stock T-Bars and use re-indexed ones. Might search for lifted 4x4 forums like this one.

Ebay?

3. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

I got mine from the dealer. $314.00 for the set. Went from like 3500 pound to 9600 1 ton. The ride didn't change that much but it does carry the plow better!:nod:

4. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Hell, if I was ready to do it I'd give you a deal on mine. I'm probably going to install the 4800lb ones on my truck, since I don't have the Snow Prep package.
    You could probably find someone here that would do the same for you, in your time frame.

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

does anyone have a list or know offhand which ones are which?

ie: i didn't realize there were different bars for snow plow prep.
    What is the rating on a 1500 (Tahoe)?

Would it be overkill to go to bars from a 1 ton? I don't want it to be totally stiff, I'm still gonna use this truck on the highway, plus will it sit high up front or will i be able to index them to sit at the same height as stock?

-Jer

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  6. BigBurban

BigBurban Member

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=18468

Post #9 has all part numbers i believe.

Oh and gmpartsdirect.com is around $130 per bar.

7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I'm having a hard time getting any advice from my spring dealer besides "put Timbrens on it"
    I know that's the way most people go but i'm just not sure i'm comfortable with that, plus i think it might be more expensive anyway. (they said close to $300 installed) I just feel that after 95,000 miles the torsion bars might just be tired to begin with.
    I don't know, am I just trying to convince myself that Torsion bars is the correct thing to do, or am I right to think that?

-Jer

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Somewhere I read about this at fullsizechevy.com check out offroad forums, torsion bar tech. Or just post the question there and 50 people will give you an answer. Another awesome resource is chevytalk.com