1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to find snow accumulations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cleancutccl, Dec 8, 2005.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl Junior Member
    from 6

I need to find a place to find out how much snow accumulated for billing customers. We just had between 6-7" snow and our rates are 1.5x for 6 and above, just need to get valid proof of how much came down. Thanks

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

A ruler.

If your customer doesn't trust you, then tell them that they must sign on the amount before you plow.

There's not going to be a specific site, since if you lot is more than 3-4 miles away from that measuring area, there's no guarantee it's even the same amount, at which point your customer can still say, "It was only 5.75".

3. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

In my area in a 10 mile radius one customer could get 12" and another could get 1". I'd like to find a site where I could check my computer before I leave home to determine which customers I need to visit (if any, cause usually the 12" is my house and the 1" is where a whole bunch of my customer are).

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll either need to move, or else use the National Weather Service's website.

Get to know their radar.

When you get a storm blowing through, even a light one, watch the radar, then run your route to see how the snow accumulated according to how the radar signal was.

When you get this down pat, you'll have the radar to watch and you'll know approximately how much has fallen.

If you're like me though, you'll still get out and drive the route, because you'll want to see it with your own eyes. Last thing you need is someone that complains because they weren't plowed.

5. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

what is your zip code??

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Ok , when you find a place that gives the snow accumulations , first what if they are wrong ? You go plow a lot that has 10 inches of snow and the
    " official" amount as reported by them is 4 inches . You get paid for a 4 inch push. Ok lets say they are right and the ammounts are accurate , and your job is next to a large field and the snow has been blowing " the official amount is 6 inches" But the parking lot has snow drifts of 2 feet .

The most reliable method was stated above A ruler