1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to find gear ratio?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CNY LAKE EFFECT, Oct 8, 2010.

1. CNY LAKE EFFECT

CNY LAKE EFFECT Junior Member

I have a 04 F350 Powerstroke and was wondering if someone can tell me how I can find out what gears are in it? Thanks

2. greekmaster

greekmaster Junior Member
    from IOWA

Try drivetrain.com

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I want to say it should be on your door code, and you can also manually calculate it, but I would assume a 3.73, and I'm 75% sure of that.

4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

There should be a tag on one of the axles. The one on my rear axle reads 3 L 73. That means it is a limited slip axle with 3.73 gears.

If you have a dually F-350, you most likely have 4.10's. A single rear wheel will have 3.73's.

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

yep...tag on axel

6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

or if you can't determine,you could jack up the truck and turn the drive shaft / count the turns on the drive shaft to 1 rotation of the rear wheels

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The above answers are correct, but chances are it's 3.73's

8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

3.73's or 4.10 .
    look at the tag on the driver side "B" pillar and let us know what the axle code is. this can be decoded for the gear ratio.

9. 86ford

86ford Junior Member

Do you realize the spider gears change the ratios unless BOTH tires turn in one direction.

10. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Too much work, easier to climb under the truck and read the tag(unless of course someone has been in there and didn't put the tag back on. Another option is to give the VIN number to the dealer and ask them to pull the build info off of OASIS.

11. tjctransport

it is easier to crawl under the truck, then look for the tinny tin tag that has rotted off the greasy dirty rear than it is to open the door and tell me the axle code is C-5??

12. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Most people don't know the axle code translations off the top of their heads, and an '04 shouldn't be rotted out yet.

13. quisman

quisman Member
    from Vermont

It's plain as day on my 2006 and you're right it was easy too slide under there and see the giant 4:10 staring me in the face. Good luck ! Worst case, axle code will be for sure.

I wonder what he found?...or how.

14. tjctransport

41 is 3.73 open
    D-1 is 373 LS
    42 is 4.10 open
    D-2 is 4.10 LS
    43 is 4.30 open
    D-3 is 4.30 LS
    46 is 4.56 open
    D-6 is 4.56 LS