1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to find a truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kwegman003, Sep 23, 2007.

1. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

I am in college and I started a driveway sealing business in HS. During the winter I plowed with my fathers truck, but this year I was looking to pick up my own. I do not want to spend $30,000 on a truck in college, with the snow so unpredictable in Rochester ny. I have seen a ton of beat up trucks in the $5000 range, but I cant seem to find a deal in my budget of under $10000. I am planning on selling my 1997 expedition to help finance this. The used car lots have nothing good. Just wondering where some of you find trucks. Ebay? Craigslist? do you buy the truck with the plow or seperate? thanks

2. diesel dually

diesel dually Junior Member

Finding trucks

I always find good trucks on Craigslist. I bought a 2000 ford f350 dually 7.3l psd with 95k on it for $8k for my landscaping company a month ago. You just have to be patient, it took me month of looking around on CL to find it. Look at all of the local areas and be willing to drive a couple hours. Also look at cars.com and autotrader.com for good deals. If the ad say "or best offer" do not be afraid to make a low offer and negotiate from there.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

that's one hell of a deal!!!

I found my truck on autotrader.....just the truck, bought plow and accessories seperately.

4. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

diesel dually,
    That is a sweet deal, I love the 1999 and newer f250s, with the psd would be my dream truck. And the price is lower than I can find a 5.4 with equal mileage. I saw a 1999 f250 with boss v plow 110k miles over the weekend for $8k. when I went to turn it off the check engine light and abs came on. I was not very happy about that along with the windows not working and the exhaust leak. You lucked out I check craigslist twice a day atleast.

5. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

first of ALL I*D look for a 4X4 used truck thats Never Plowed & I prefer the FORD 7.3 I have seen several w/ under 200,000 highway miles & have a Car Fax Check just by sending IN the Serial Number YOU get its History Upgrades--any Damage?--a Complete maintanance Reprt--it Takes the Worry Out of the Purchase--& for $30.00 YOU can*t Beat that!! & BUY a Used Plow as theres Guys just about Every where that Re-Build E*M like NEW Look under Used Equipment Here on the Site--& they will Assit You w/any Problems You may Have --ONE on ONE! which to ME is Better than a New Dealer--GOOD LUCK! --OleTower--

6. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

thanks ole tower

has anyone ever bought from a impound auction or municipal leftover auction. I just looked in the paper and on oct 5th they are selling 3 2002 f250 w/ plows and some older trucks as well. I might as well check it out if its free to attend. Im keeping my eyes peeled thats for sure.

How hard is it to wire a truck that has never been plowed? I would be a little nervous about that, but I know this site is a huge help and could work through it with me.

7. diesel dually

Kwegman
    Stay away from municiple trucks. The peole who drive those dont care about the trucks so they destroy them. I saw a deal for a f350 in New Hampshire if you want to drive that far. Here is the link
    http://nh.craigslist.org/car/424352151.html
    it is a 1999 ford f350 7.3l psd extended cab with only 91k on it. Price is 10,500 or best offer. May have been sold by now but check it out. Might be able to get it for around 9,500 with some good negotiation.Anyway just keep looking.

8. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

I believe it is a 2wd, not sure but no stickers on the side of the truck, and no mention in the ad. I think I might check out the auction if its free to attend, but not necesarily buy anything unless its a unpassable deal. Just interested to see what an auction would bring pricewise. Anyone else ever attend one of these?

9. diesel dually

The title of the ad says 4x4.

10. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

diesels come with a price fuel and up keep if have the money go for it if not i'd say run a gasser under done with school and then get your dream truck . i dunno how far wanna travel but there is place down near me that sell ALOT of trucks esp. ford and dodge diesel 's fairly cheap and clean .his website list off the trucks he has but he doe offer alot for the working man IMO

crosscountryent

11. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

thanks for all the help

for right now I think I am going to keep checking CL cars.com autotrader etc... as it gets closer to snowtime I will broaden my view and consider traveling, but im still hoping something local will pop up. I looked at a 99 f25 with boss vplow in buffalo with 110k miles, but it turned out to be a wasted trip b/c the truck needed alot of work, well I shouldnt say a complete waste because my girlfriend goes to school in the area:drinkup:

12. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i drove like a good hr before i found my truck . do home work which it souns like your doing def . get an oasis report very helpful and just keep on trying you'll know whne find her !!!

13. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

ok heres my progress,

I was looking at a 1999 or newer f250 but nothing is in my price range that isnt beaten on. I heard advice on here to buy a truck without a plow and put one on. I have been thinking about that and this is what I came up with. 95 ram 1500 larmie package 105k miles. price is about $3000 and he said it needs nothing. long bed ext cab. new tires exhaust brakes. can a half ton ram plow? he says the suspension sits high on these trucks and it wont be a problem, I just wanted to check on here. also, how hard is it to put a decent used plow on? thanks for the help guys/(girls?)

14. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Dam I bought my 2003 Ford F-250 Ext. Cab Black Sport Package, Leather, 6 Disc Cd, 8ft MM2 Plow, 120kmi, lil body damage for $8,400. I went from a chevy to a ford. And people call me nuts. But I love the truck. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

look on autotrader.com thats where i found my 04 silverado 2500HD.

16. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

I went to a municipal auction a week ago, and have been kicking myself ever since. A 2004 f250 with 33k miles and a hinker plow(needed work) sold for 11grand. It needed tires and had a few dings and scratches but was very clean overall. It was just too hard to risk 11000 on something that couldnt be driven except for drive and reverse in its parking spot. but i still wish i just bought the thing...
    search continues and running out of time

17. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I am also one to recommend buying a truck without a plow, fact is no matter how low the miles or how many people say they only plowed their own driveway a couple times, a truck with a plow is a big gamble. I've seen how a lot of guys plow, they beat the truck like a rented mule because they think that is how they are supposed to do it. I try to take care of my truck because it is my dailyy driver, however I know I've been in some positions where I had no choice but to beat the pi$$ out of it. At least I know I was the first one to put a plow on it, 4wd was probably never really used before I got it. Mine was a horse hauler.
    Stay away from municipal stuff. That stuff works harder than any of our trucks, and is driven by low paid workers who don't give damn about the truck, in fact the faster they tear it up the sooner they can get a new truck. Also, the auctions are filled with people who think they are getting a great deal, and the volume of those people pushes the prices way up. I've gone to out state auction and watched people spend crazy money on worn out nearly dead cruisers, and beat to heck highway dept trucks. Nothing but junk that's overpriced.

18. Detroitdan

Oops, lost my post and had to log in again. I also wanted to add this: I see nice trucks in your price range all the time. Keep looking, Craiglist and Autotrader are great resources. With a 10k budget I could have a killer plow truck. I strongly recommend you buy a truck that's never plowed or worked commercially. Buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, you can plow with a 1/2 ton or smaller, but the bigger trucks have HD cooling, HD axles and everything is just stronger. Much better suited to the rigors of plowing. Only way to go if you ask me. And don't be afraid to install the plow yourself, I've done several myself and I'm kind of a moron.
    Seriously, it isn't very hard. If you have a digital camera you can come here and we will walk you through it.

19. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

detriotdan thank you,
    very good information. Ill keep looking but im having a hard time looking at a truck without a plow and imagine putting it on myself even though I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I also look at trucks and think they are all overpriced. I will relook at craigslist here if you get a chance to take a peak at rochesters I would appreciate passing along any ideas.

Thanks

20. Detroitdan

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/car/446583218.html
    dont know if it's too far to travel, or if you are interested in a regular cab, but this seems like a heck of a nice truck. Has the better diesel in it, my favorite color and it is the old body style. Before they ripped off Dodge with the nose.