1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to buy XV cutting edge.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Jan 15, 2010.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I know there are other posts about these cutting edges. But after 20 minutes of searching I couldn't find anyone who posted about where to get them. Actually I thought I remember me posting about a good deal but all I found was that I spent $400 on my last set! :realmad:
    I just got a quote of just under $400 again.:realmad:
    There has got to be a cheaper option.

2. PPP

PPP Member

You could try one of the sponsors Central Parts Warehouse. I own the EZ V and they are the cheapest I can find any place. I don't see the XV edges listed, but if you call them they should be able to help you out.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My dealer gives me a discount since I bought the plow from him. The last set was about $320 for my 8'6"

4. LON

LON Senior Member

I know a place where you could save 'bout 97 bucks:nod:

5. BoulderBronco

So what, is it a secret?
    This is crazy. Buying a new cutting edge every year for $400! Is Fisher serious with this s*%t? If I had known I would have to put $400 a year into this plow I never would have bought it. Someone please tell me there is a better alternative for us V-plow guys.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, $400 for cutting edges stinks for sure. But what is that amount as a percentage of your plowing dollar volume? And it's much less than you will spend on fuel too.

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Figure it in to your price, that's all you can do. Next time price out the wear parts before you buy the plow.........

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you'll find all the current V plows are about the same. I know Boss is similar, I believe the Meyer SV2 is about the same. No idea for Sno Way, or Hiniker. And Blizzard guys are always grumbling about edges. Actually, all the power plows are expensive.

At the end of the day, it's part of the cost of doing business. Just like tires, gas, oil changes.

9. BoulderBronco

You guys are right, it's just painful. I plowed with a straigh 7'6" and 8' plow for fifteen years and bought an edge maybe every two years for about $100. All of a sudden it's $400 every year. Just shocking. I do plow enough that it doesn't actually hurt the pocket that much and it is of course tax deductable, but it's still insane.

10. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

There are no aftermarket ones out there??

Surprised there are no carbide insert ones.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know if that curve in the center section can be duplicated legally....Maybe?

I wouldn't run carbide even if they were available. Plow too much gravel.

12. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

The blade/cutting edge work great. Really good angle and scraping abilities from what I've seen in the first few storms. I wouldn't go skimp on the cutting edges- just my opinion. If it doesn't make any difference in price, buy a piece at a time so it doesn't hurt as bad.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The XV scrapes very well, no doubt about it. You really have to install the whole edge at once.

14. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

LOL, yes I know that 2COR. I meant buy the pieces one at a time if that's possible. Get a paycheck......buy the middle pieces. Next paycheck buy an outer piece, etc.........Too late now by the sounds of it for this gentleman, but in the future..just a thought.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  15. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I wouldn't run carbide either...to brittle. We used to put a steel over the carbide on the town trucks to cushion them. Just surprised you don't see them.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

After I posted that I was like, uh, I know what he meant.....Duh:dizzy:

17. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

Anyone know what grade of steel factory cutting edges are ?

As far as fabrication there is nothing complicate there , any equipped fab shop can cut , bend and punch that type of work but the key would be to use the proper grade of steel .

Cutting edges can be a pretty good piece of change when you are gearing multiple plows and plow models ...... presently buying for (2) EZV'S 8.5 & 9.5 .... (1) x bladed 7.5 .... (1) XV 8.5....... I like my local dealer but would like to defer some of the annual cost

I am leary of aftermarket edges as being too soft .

18. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Not sure of the grade but it is a high carbon steel. The edges certainly don't cost $400 to make, I don't what care they are using for steel :laughing: If you find a fab shop in Maine that can get the steel and will make their own, let me know! :nod:

19. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

Used to be a shop in East Millinocket that did edges for straight blades ...... less than $10 a foot but it was standard carbon steel and they did not last as long as factory .

The best would be the type of steel they used to make chip chutes for the mills or even the same material as wear plates on loaders .

20. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

where are you in maine I use a guy in mass called atlantic broom in taunton ma if you need that many edges it may be worth the ride they are all made in house for alot of town trucks and they sell to the public I would give them a call maybe some other guys would buy some also and you could split the fuel cost I they are about 2 hours or less from the hampton toll booth