1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy skids of bagged salt in North Jersey...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NJ Plowman, Nov 6, 2007.

1. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I am looking to buy 2 skids of 50lb bagged rock salt in Hudson or Bergen counties. Anybody know of a good place where the won't take the eyes out of my head?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

If you want bagged magic treated salt I can sell you a couple skids. if you're looking for straight salt call Wayne wholesale fertilizer, their prices are usually pretty good, also call shemins in Mahwahm ask for John Fleming he is our rep and is a good guy to deal with. I know I am not in the counties you mentioned and neither is Wayne but is not too far out of your wy.

3. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

You know last year I started a post looking to co-op with a few people to by a trailer load...and the post was removed in 2 days?????

I have two really good sources for pallets by the trailer load...18 skids/load. Checked pricing Monday was $3.30 per bag deliver to our shop.

BTW, Shemins was 4.25/bag by the skid.....and Lesco was 3.90 or so

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2007
  4. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Quick question.

Does rock salt eat or damage concrete? That was my impression, but I could be wrong.

Doesn't it also kill grass? If anyone can answer this, great.

:)

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Not to sound like a jerk, but pick up the phone and call a dozen places or more, whether they are a small or large supplier. It only takes maybe 20 min of phone work. That is generally how you find the cheapest place..

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

yes, regular rock salt will tend to kill grass/plants and damage concrete. this is where you would want to use a calcium salt on side walks.

7. JFSV

JFSV Junior Member

Yes, high levels of salt are damaging to plants, but so is calcium chloride. Urea and potassium chloride tend to have less affect on vegetation-but are also expensive and don't melt as low. As far as damage to concrete...de-icers don't chemically attach concrete. It's the freeze-thaw cycle that damages concrete. We tend to blame salt more because it has a very high re-freeze point, calcium has a very low re-freeze point. You just need to find a product that has a low enough re-freeze point for your area-that may or may not mean calcium.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2007
  8. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Thanks JFSV and BNC for the reply. That's what I thought, so I guess salt is probably ok on pavement and that's where most guys on this site use it.

I use meltz all for sidewalks and driveways that are concrete. It's a combination of mineral salts and calcium chloride as they state on their website. It seems to go easy on grass, not much damage in spring except if winter was particularly nasty and lots of ice on sidewalks.

Thanks again. :)

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

john deere

Here in cleveland john deere is at 3.51/ bag by the skid. it went up from 3.14/bag last year.

10. How much for a skid or two of magic?

P

11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

BNC,

As for your first six words...Too late! :jester:

I got a place, a contact name, and a price $1.50 cheaper per bag than I was paying thanks th my friends here on the board. I was under the inpression that's what this site is all about! :nod:

Give info, get info... :help: