1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to buy salt in Michigan

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by skidooer, Jul 22, 2008.

1. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

looking for a good salt supplier in the Mid-Michigan area, bulk or bagged

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you've bought from suppliers in the past, you're probably screwed as salt will be in short supply again this year. Sorry.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Mark is right, I called Cargill and Sifto today just to check things out and they both told me right off the bat, that if I didn't have an account with them already, I wasn't getting any salt. Once I told them I had an account, they said they couldn't give exact pricing but she hinted that 10-15% would catch it. I hope she"s right. They told me exact pricing will be faxed out in the next 2 weeks. Cargill said the ships are coming in much slower then usual and they had a long breakdown at there mine. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes, no sense worring to much about it now. Everyone will be in the same bout, with the increases, I just want to make sure my alotments are secured.

4. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

It sucks that it's the middle of July and we are worrying about salt.
    Thanks for the reminder though guy's I guess it's time to call my supplier and get an order together. Think they would deliver now?

5. JDavis

JDavis Junior Member
    from Mi

Where abouts are you looking? I should say, Where exactly in Michigan? I know Sargent Sand dock in Saginaw Mi Had a dome full and about 5 great lake freighter loads sitting on the ground. MDot garage in Saginaw looks to be full, unknown on saginaw and bay county barns. I do know that last year Sargent stopped selling salt to everyone but MDOT in mid January.