1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy new motors?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by theguynextdoor, Nov 1, 2009.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I am putting a new 360 V8 gas motor in my 98 Dodge 2500. Where would you recommend buying from? Website? Local place? I want a long block, ready to go in since everything from the piston rings, to the bearings, to the valves are shot on this motor. It knocks, ticks, gets 4 miles to the gallon, and burns 2 quarts of oil every other tank of gas.

Also, any tips on removing the old motor and installing the new motor would be appreciated. I have rebuilt a motor before, just didn't take the block out of the car. My main concern is the motor to transmission portion of the job.

Thanks for any help.

2. theguynextdoor

This is the best I have found so far. I have to call them and check the details on it...like timing, fuel rails, warranty, is it remanufactured with new seals, parts, etc.

http://www.everdrive.com/partdetails_V1.aspx?sku=3352911

Also need brake pads, catalytics converter, and exhaust manifolds. Then, everything on the truck is pretty much new.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  3. theguynextdoor

Anyone have some input on this that might help me out with the project?

4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

sounds like a pretty big project to tackle. Motor to trans is no problem, Take inspection cover off, unbolt flywheel, and your good to go. I think.

5. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

check out jasper engines goole them for the web site they come with a warranty

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

jasper is the way to go. take the hood OFF of the truck. life will be better, trust me. get a good cherry picker to pull the motor/trans together. set the motor/trans on wood blocks and unbolt them, then lift the motor away from the trans.

buy oil dry, rags, and band aids first, then go at it. good luck.

7. theguynextdoor

I looked up the motor from jasper. Seems it will cost well over 3000. The motor I was looking at is only 1600, includes shipping. I'll have to call both companies for the details though. The jasper does look like a good motor, but I don't want to spend that much money on a motor for an 11 year old truck.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

There is no way I would trust a long block that only ran $1600 with shipping.

I have a 98 Ram myself. Last year I spent close to $3500 to have the trans REBUILT!

I paid it because I know the guy very very well that did the work and now have a reliable guaranteed transmission loaded for bear in my truck. I also did not break a knuckle changing one out in the garage.

If you have a reliable trusting mechanic you know I would ask him where he gets his motors from. If you are stuck on doing this yourself maybe the guy you know could get a deal and you could pick it up at his shop using the cherry picker to remove it from the bed at your house.

Mail order remember if the block cracks it is YOU that will have to do the tear down and send it back to them. That is if they let you. Most will ask you to prove it was the fault of them before doing any warranty replacement.

Good Luck.
    Been there.......... ussmileyflag

9. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

You can not go wrong with a Jasper engine. I have installed several with zero problems. On your Dodge you will need to remove the hood, grill, the top brace on the radiator support, the radiator and the condencer. Its not a bad job on those trucks. I usually like to pull the engine and transmission but on the last Dodge I did I did not and it was very easy. But seriously spend the extra money for the Jasper.