1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy new cutting edges???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ross3031, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

I'm having a problem finding somene besides the local Western dealer to buy a new cutting edge from. I have an '08 8'6" MVP PLUS POLY, it has the 4 piece cutting edge to it. Where can i get a new one???
  2. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Couple of things...

1) I'm not really sure as where else to get cutting edges from, but try doing a search as I think I've seen various vendors selling them here.

2) Awesome looking truck. I love it!

3) I have been thinking of getting the exact plow you have for my new F250. How do you like it and have the cutting edges held up pretty well or do they wear fast? I do all commercial and have heard that they can wear out pretty fast. I'd also be curious to see how well it holds up in real heavy snow, in regards to does the wing get pushed back if your pushing really heavy wet snow etc...

3. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

Thanks for the compliments...

I love the plow. Will NEVER go back to a straight blade, the difference is night and day. Pushed alot of snow and have never had the wings pushed back, even while piling snow. Again, I LOVE this plow

BUT... When it snow'd during the week, i would plow about 2am-8am, work my heavy equipment job, then touch some stuff up after 5 (Ran 8 trucks last year though so had plenty of guys to fill in while i was out). So i did alot of plowing but my guys probably put more hours in pushing then me personally, That being said, i went through a cutting edge in one season, and it would have been bad if we would have needed to plow 2-3 more times than we did, it was that worn down. I've heard bad things about the wear on these. I'll definitaly be moving to a 1/2" edge this time
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The 3/8" edges go pretty fast. The 1/2" last a long time.

What is wrong with buying from your local dealer?
  5. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

Cause they told me $475. I laughed so hard they hung up on me. Found 2 places that do $300 plus shipping (about $25 bucks). I also do alot of steel work and know the price of steel. I could cut a piece of 1/2" steel to the right size, have my welder buddy get the inside bend welded to the new piece of steel, and take the piece to get harden'd and not have more than $150-$175 into it total, and thats a high estimate. My old 10' Western straight blade was like $125, couldnt believe $475, THATS INSANE!!!