1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to buy liquid de icers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jfjcontracting, Feb 12, 2008.

1. jfjcontracting

jfjcontracting Member

I have a tank and sprayer set up. Due the salt frenzy i am looking to spray liquid, where do you get it and what exactly is it???

thanks jim johnson

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

powerjoke, we need your help

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

I'M ON IT :D

what are you hoping to use the chem for?

de-iceing

pre-treating

salt treating?

EDIT: P.S. JAY how is everything going up north........REALLY REALLLLLLLLLYYYYYY slow here

4. letse1

letse1 Junior Member

Jim, in WA state we buy our mag chloride from wilbur ellis by the gal or in bulk. I checked there web site and they have 6 or 7 in your state.
    Kurt

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow up here, only got up to 17 deg today and no snow in sight. too cold for shingles and not much else to do:sleeping:

6. jfjcontracting

jfjcontracting Member

I would be using it for de iceing, I am running out of salt and have a sprayer set up almost complete i just need to know exactly what to use and how much of it i will need.

thanks guys

7. powerjoke

well if it is for de-iceing it will need to be in a"stream" or carried on rock salt or you could even coat Sand with about 12gal per ton and get neer the same result

if you run it through a fan nozzle before a storm i would put down about ~40gpa (depends on solution strength)

Mag chloride is about ~-25*

so depending on youre ice temp (yes ice is differ temp) you may have to aplie more or less

if you can get youre hands on some calcium chloride ~-65* it will do a better job as "breaking the bond" between the ice and pavement

but if only pre-treating mag at 30gpa will be more than sufficiant........what's the strenght of youre chem (the supplier should know, it varies from load to load)

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What about a mix Of these products ? Any experience ?
    What kind of prices are you paying per gallon ?
    Were in the same no salt boat here, so were chasing any options.

9. jfjcontracting

jfjcontracting Member

Could somone give me a call so they can share some info on this liquid de icer, I have some good ideas i just need to do some trial and error. 810-955-5498 Any help would be apprecaited

jim johnson

10. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Let me know to!!!!

Hey let me know to If you could!!!!! I am tring out calcium from a concrete plant and it works good but can not find a supplier for it! The cargil stuff didnt seem very good on the price and the amount that is needed. I really want to find calcium but not a semi load 500 gals is what I am looking for.:dizzy:

11. Mike S

Supplier in Mi

From my understanding the concrete plants here in Columbus OH get thier calcium from MI the company is up there in your state! They only sell buy the tanker load down here.

12. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I know that northern tool sells some now in a few different sizes. Not sure what it is or how it works, but thought I'd throw it out there.

13. Mike S

I saw that but it looked expensive for what you got. What you think?

14. powerjoke

sorry for being so late on the replie, i had some other things to take care of for a couple of day's

as far as the price of this stuff

i buy it for $1 per gal (calcium) and

Magnesium is cheaper but you have to aplie more of it so it is about the same money or just a touch more

there are many differ way's to "blend" this stuff and achieve many many differ temp's but you'll have to talk to some-one smarter than me

i am going to buy a tanker (4500 gal) of it next summer and repackage it in totes for easier handeling and maybe even sell a few of them

you need 32% of calcium which weighs 11.5lbs per gal where water is ~8lb so if you aquire any you may have to weigh it in a milk jug if you don't have a hydrometer,

100% liquid calcium will "freeze" or gel at ~+40*F so if you have too strong of a mix it is no good either

i don't know much about it but i have done it before and had GREAT result's so just PM me or post any q's and i'll try to help

15. powerjoke

here is my sprayer setup.

on a road the cars will disperse the chem

in a lot there is not a heavily concentrated drive lanes like a rad i use fan nozzles that helps coat the whole lot

i have had one lot that i sprayed 35gpa and 4 days later we had a sleet storm and that lot was wet&black, :bluebounc so a few days later we had 1" and the areas that was treated wsa wet not black but wet......so how long does this stuff last i duno

the lot i done the expiroment on was a grocerie store and a couple of government ofices so trafic was everywhere not like a mcdonalds, where the drive through gets the most traffic
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=56651

16. Mike S

Calcium, What do you recomend doing with it? 100% doesnt work? What do you recomend 32% calcium and the rest water?

17. powerjoke

well......kinda

when you receive the chem it will vary in strenght's as the manufacture has a reason (i don't know)

but for this app it will be somewhere in the 30% bracket

but if you have to dilute it yes you use water

or if it's stronger i would think that you could blend it with somethig else like beetjuice, which from what i understand the beetjuice is mainley used to pre-wet salt which does lower the temp......somewhat but if mixed with a liquid such as calcium it is a very usefull tool to mark where you have been

i am going to learn more about this from the guy i will be buying this from, he sells nation wide and is verry knowladable