1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to buy 100+ foot of rubber for pushers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Silverstreak, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

anyone have any good outlets for 1.5" rubber?

also, to make oval holes, what would be a good idea to use?
    (i have a cheapo router i dont mind burning up...i know conventional drill bits are a pain to use)

long story short, i have around a dozen snow pushers (avalanche, protech, jrb etc) that all are way overdue for new edges from 10' to 24'

for the 24' pusher they want over $1400 for just an edge from protech

rather than spend 10000+ dollars on "oem" parts id rather make it myself

i used http://www.rubbercal.com/Rubber_Snowplow_Blades_1500psi.html and just wanted to know if anyone has other options out there

thanks so much fellas!!

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I realize that the money to replace all the pusher's edges is most likely out of control, so I don't blame you for wanting to find a cheaper way out. I did the same thing with pusher shoes.

However, you might already know this, but not all rubber edges are created equal. There is a huge difference in the performance variations of an extruded manufacturing process vs. a molded process. If you google it, pro-tech has a video out on this. I know you will assume the video is biased because pro-tech put it out, but I can tell you from having both types on the same lot, same pushers, same tractors running both of them, that the pro-tech rubber lasts significantly longer and due to the lesser amount of "give" that it has, scrapes the lot much better too.

But 10k is a lot of money in rubber..

As for the holes/slots, I would suggest a mortising jig for woodworking with a plunge router. I am building kitchen cabinets, and have found these produce sometimes nicer mortises than a true mortise machine. I used it when I made my own edges at one point, however I did regret the effort of making them when I saw the results they offered. Also, it really shocked me how tough the rubber was to cut and route. I never imagined how difficult it would be to do.
  3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

They use rubber to test the quality of steel in custom made knives. Rubber will take the edge off faster than any other severable material.
  4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Have you tried cpw. There a sponsor and we have dealt with them before seems to be a good product and they can predrill the holes for you
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I actually got my new CPW catalog in the mail today, 1.5" X 8" ~ $33.72 per ft, 1.5" X 10" ~$35.16 per ft, 1.5" X 12"~ $42.12 per ft. According to the catalog they'll "make custom"edges so I'd have think that would include slotting them.
  7. fendt716

fendt716 Member
    from nw nj

Try lacal eq. In ohio. Just make sure it is exactly what you want sometimes salesman story is a little off. We only get sweeper parts from them. Another co. Is the falls co. Out west. They handle urethane and polyurethane. They say it harder and will out last rubber.their spinner disc last a lot time.
  8. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

thanks for the responses, ill check out some other people too, cpw is $5 more a foot than rubber cal

ill custom make everything that breaks on my protechs before i order ANY part from them again

spent almost 8000 on the 24' pusher, edge lasted one storm before cracking and splitting and when you put your foot on it you can see the rubber "dry rot" cracks appear, yet they wouldnt warranty it and were more than happy to try and charge me for a new rubber edge

i was also thinking using the 50 ton press and having a welder friend of mine make a razor sharp oval "cookie cutter" that i could try and press through the rubber

9. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

My dad sells punches and dies for metal working. im sure they can get any size oval you would like, and they are razor sharp. give them a call. montgomery peterson inc.860-627-7028.