1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where To Attach Tow Chain On Chevy Front

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Brookside, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Brookside

Brookside Member

When they put the MM1 Fisher plow on our '98 Chevy K3500 they took off the tow hooks. Had to pull the truck today, couldn't find a place to hook a chain on. Thought about the lower control arms, didn't want to screw them up. Put a clevis through one of the plow push plates. The plow wasn't on. That seemed to work okay, but I don't know if the push plates could get damaged from that. Must be more than a few people have had to deal with this - any suggestions?

2. Brookside

Brookside Member

Oops - Wonder if I should have posted this on the Fisher plows forum. Don't know if the other plow brands remove the tow hooks also. They took them off our '04 Dodge, too, for the MM2. Same push plates.

3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Get yourself a T-hook, or a baby J-hook. Your trucks frame will have an elongated slot that either of these will fit into.

Or - get a tow strap and wrap it around the frame somewhere.

Or - get a long tow strap, open both doors and thread the strap through the cab of the truck near the floor. Close the doors. This aside from using a tow point on the frame is the strongest areas to pull from.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

As long as you pull straight you will not damage the push plate- been doing it for several years on my Ram. Never, and I mean never pull on both push plates at the same time- you will bend them.

A J-hook is a handy thing, but you still need to have a solid place of attachment on the truck- and I doubt you'll find one in the snow when you need it. a T-hook goes through the frame (in the slots you see- that's how they tie them down for transport) and is your safest bet all around.

I carry a clevis with a 1 inch pin (same as the Fisher pin), an 8 foot large J-hook to grab hook chain and a grab to grab 15 footer (all welded tow grade chain), sometimnes a slip to grap in 15 foot also. 99% of the time the clevis and j-hook (with the grab through the clevis) or the grab-to-grab will do it.

Sized right the grab hook will slide through the 2 inch reciever tube for a rear pull too.