1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where should I be.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mlc4163, Jan 20, 2003.

1. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

Have an entrance to a new sub-division that the owner needs cleared for access for the crews and to show the lots.
    Would like advice on two quotes understanding different regions charge different prices.
    1) how much for 0.1 miles, plow and salt.
    2) how much for 0.4 miles, plow and salt. (same place)
    Do not need to be curb to curb perfect.
    I already have the account but am double checking myself.
    Note: It took about 20 minutes to do the road the first time including putting down 150 Lbs of salt. I'm sure the number will improve some.
    I have a 9' straight blade plow.
    Thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For private roads that are 9' to 12' wide, I use $100 a mile as a base figure for plowing.

Sanding - I calculate an average of 3 yards of sand/salt mix per mile. You will more or less, depending on conditions. Charge for sanding - 2x my cost of material. You will likely use less material if you're using straight salt.

With paved lots, you will probably want to do more pre-treating if you're using salt.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not sure what the going rates are there,but I would go with a 1 Hr min,to cover travel time,etc.I won't touch a lot unless I get the minimum charge.

I would also charge a bit more if this new subdivision is still under construction,as there can be a lot of hidden debris,such as wood,steel rebar,nails,frozen dirt,unfinished curbc,etc that can be very hard on trucks.

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Mick,
    3 yards to treat 1 mile of road????????????? Wow seems a little overkill to me. What is your sand/salt ratio? 80/20?? I can use straight salt at 500lbs. per lane mile and get great results. ED

5. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

$75- .1 mile

$100- .4 mile

6. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

more info

It's 5 minutes from an another account.
    Charged $65 for 0.1 mile and $130 for 0.4 miles
    Still trying to get more accounts so went a little low to keep truck from sitting. Thanks for input.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

EJK2352, yes that may seem like overkill but I figure it out that way because I want to base on "worst-case" scenario. Like a thick coating of ice from freezing rain. I just got done day before yesterday doing a little over 1/2 mi using about 1/2 yd on a light snowfall. But when I talk to potential customers, I want them to understand if I have to put it down heavy. Then they won't complain about being billed less. But if I'd said I could treat a mile with two yard, then it took three, they would rightfully question it.

Remember, salt is not an option here. And I know I could use about 2/3 as much if it were.