1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where parking spaces & sidewalks converge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sven1277, Feb 17, 2011.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

How do you handle commercial residential properties where the parking rows meet up to the sidewalk that runs along in front and acts as the stop. We have an apartment complex like this and we come back several times after each storm to clean up parking spaces. People don't generally move their cars for us unless they are leaving anyway. We push the snow up to the sidewalk, but not onto it. I don't like trying to push up and over the curb and sidewalk b/c of potential curb damage. Now the property owner is making a stink about the snow left in this area. I understand the concern. Not sure why he is just now bringing it up after nearly 3 years of plowing the property. Backdragging the spots doesn't work that well as it leaves too much hard pack which tends to ice up. My thought is to leave a compact tractor on site with a rear blade with box ends and use it to pull out the spots and have the plow truck push the snow off during final cleanup and subsequent visits. Obviously this would add to the price of the plow. Just want to get feedback on how others handle this situation. Other properties we have like this don't have a problem with the snow placement. Just this one.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't believe you have gotten away with it for 3 years, if the owner doesn't like it. I guess if it was in your contract that you were pushing the snow up against the curb that would be one thing, but pushing the snow there only creates an even bigger ice / hard pack area, that is going to be even more uneven then just letting the cars park on it. Doing it for 3 years prior, I am shocked that there hasn't been a trip and fall there. You have a Hiniker C-plow listed on your signiture. Why not use that and pull the snow out instead of buying another blade. That or get a rear plow for one of the trucks. You can pick up a decent rear plow for 12 to 13 hundred dollars, and just pull the snow out and stack it where you stack the rest of the roadway snow.
  3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I have a lot that sounds identical. Backdragging for me is nearly impossible because there's simply not enough room. I have a plan with the property manager and the residents that they leave me empty parking areas through the storm. I plow them with the storm and after, then they move to the plowed areas and I come back. I push them side to side, riding the curb. It's not perfect, but the place just isn't designed for snow. I attached a map of the place with a mark to show what I do and a horrible picture of it.

Don't know if this helps or not, hope it does

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Hard to believe this is even a question. :eek:

In this scenario NEVER push the snow towards the walk, you pull this out. :laughing:
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Come on Jim. You bury the walk, then you dont need to shovel it!
  6. RTEnt

RTEnt Member

I've plowed situations like your describing for years. I have to agree with everybody else in that you never push to the walk. I also agree that back blading the spots leaves a lot of snow behind. It didn't take very long to realize that a truck and plow isn't the proper tool for the job. You might want to consider a skid steer easily maneuver in and out and plenty of down pressure to break up the hard pack.
  7. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Plow 80% of the way forward, lift the plow, pull ahead, and back drag it back out. This will get any hard packed stuff that the plow will scrape, but remove the pile. Thought that was part of plowing 101?