1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where Our Tax Dollers Go!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ColumbiaLand, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Well I was out the other morning scraping a lot down, about 4:15 am and I saw an interesting sight! I was doing one of my lots which is next to a gas station on the corner in a busy little town here in NY when I saw two New York State DOT trucks pull into the station, both with plows and salters filled up for the highway. I jumped out to scrap the sidewalk that is next to the gas station where the dot guys were. They went inside to get a drink or whatever and then one came out and drove off. 10 min later the second driver came out, jumped into his truck and began dumping salt from his state truck onto the gas stations parking lot, he backed up several times to make sure he covered everything around the store and gas island very well and then drove off!! He looked right at me while driving by like " You never saw that!":gunsfiring:

So I guess he got a free breakfast sandwich and other fringe benefits for the salt, but that just shows you what these wonderful workers get away with!:gunsfiring:
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I see that happening where I live. Both trucks one from town another a contract highway maintenance trucks when they turn at the en d of their route always put a strip of salt in front of the establishments. In this case it might be courtesy as a way to thank th em for being able to turn around at their site. But it sounds in this case its a real salt job. Th ats a no no.
  3. aviator39

aviator39 Junior Member

I see that as a small perk of the job. You think that doesn't go on in Washington every day and to a much grander scale. With everything else that is screwed up in government this is the least of my worries. Not to mention I would do the same thing! Not that it is right of course.
  4. procut

procut Senior Member

Not to say that stuff like that doesn't happen...

But around here, people would be up in arms if they witnessed someting like that, calling the county garage, writing to the newspapers, ect. An example: A city empoyee I know went home for lunch and drove a city pick-up truck with a plow on the front. As he left, he dropped the blade on the way out of his driveway back-blading one pass, then pushed what was dragged into the street up over the curb and drove off. Two of the neigbors saw this, and BOTH called city hall outraged that a city employee used a "tax payer supported vehicle and fuel" to plow his personal driveway.
  5. starc

starc Senior Member

I saw a similar thing happen here, a city truck pulled into a plaza and dropped the plow and pushed a few strips. I called the city with a truck number and time. I was called later and was told the operator lost his job.
  6. augerandblade

:jester:Do you ha ve any intentions of running for office????????????????:jester:
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Spoken like a real thief. Warped justification stealing from you boss to make a quick buck for your own pocket. Not only should you be fired, you should be dealing with theft charges.

Good for you. It's nice to know there are still people who care enough to take a little action.

We run many county trucks we bought at auction. We get calls from counties inquiring whether or not we perform services on specific sites due to concerned citizens witnessing what they believe is a public truck doing side work. Every tax payer should be outraged by this.

Columbialand, you really should make that call.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  8. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Even though we..

Even though I turn around on private property we are instructed to lift our blades and turn off our spreader as we enter the property in which we turn.
    Not pulling a con just good human nature I would like to plow my way around(Not clean the lot) as they allow me to turn there.
    But I dont!
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

This isnt right but as someone else said happens everyday

I dont really see a problem with that since if that same person worked in the private sector he could probably take a truck home and plow his drive
  10. procut

procut Senior Member

Yes, but in the private sector the truck wasn't bought and maintained with public funds. ie. tax dollars

For the record, the guy that did this was given a simple warning, "just don't do it again" type of thing.
  11. cretebaby

I just saying it could be considered a benefit just like his health ins

Obviously it is all paid for by tax dollars
  12. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Wrong, yes, but small stuff compared to what goes on at a much higher level and for millions not a couple hundred! I bet the plow truck driver paid his taxes, more than some cabinet members do.
  13. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

People just really need to worry about bigger things... the gas station owner, does he not pay taxes? What's a little salt really? He could go to the garage and get it himself for free so big deal if the driver spread a little for him. It's sad to see people lose their jobs because others can't mind there own business... the whole wasted tax money thing is getting real old.
  14. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

+1. Cry babies, all of em.
  15. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

When are we going to wake up and stop voteing these people back in office???
  16. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Although some of you see this as a perk of the job I still think that its not right. In The long run all of these little things add up to one big chunk of money for taxpayers. I don't want DOT drivers to lose their job, but if someone would just explain that in the long run it could just drive up salt costs. Yeah but maybe sometimes it would be a nice gesture to a property owner if your turning around there, but the worst thing of it all is these guys are doing it when we have a salt shortage and they are being told to be easy on the salt from the beginning,:gunsfiring:
  17. augerandblade

Get a video of it and hang em from the yardarm I say. Its theft plain and simple. It isnt the drivers truck or
  18. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I feel the same. That guy who no longer has a job will cost us more being unemployed than the $5 in salt he put down. He (she) no longer can hire you to move his lawn, seal the driveway, lay a new brick patio with fire pit and on and on.
    Right about now we have bigger problems than this and when we solve those bigger problems, stuff like this still shouldn't be made into an issue.
  19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

just one thought...

many years ago , my uncle owned a farm with a LARGE driveway , looked more like a small parking lot

he was exactly on the border of 2 counties, well he complained to the county highway departments about there trucks turning around using his property , since he was the only point for miles, and the speed and traffic didnt allow much room for u turns

he personally didnt care they were driving on his property, as much so as they were packing down unplowed snow, and draggin more in with there trucks. the deal he cut with BOTH counties was, they had to plow the drive (not all but most of it) for him, and if salt was required a small amount to be spread. This deal was known by every member of the department including the hirgher up guys

he also , never got an traffic tickets in either town in 22 yrs living there....imagin that
  20. cretebaby

"if you watch your pennies your dollars will watch themselves"

These municipalities need to learn to watch all the littles things that cost money before they will ever watch the big things and stop wasting money

If a county truck turns around on private property then I would think it would be fair to plow while they are doing that but to spread salt in trade for a cup of coffee is BS these people are employed by the tax payer

If they salt the gas station then the station doesnt need me to do it then that employee of mine( the tax payer ) is taking money out of my pocket 2 different ways