1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where? Kansas City, MO

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mtchockey30, Sep 1, 2009.

1. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

Hey guys I have to get into the snow business and and now I have a bunch of questions. I am debating on getting a tailgate spreader to start with until I might need something bigger. Money is always an option but, I am wondering what are the brands I might look into. (It would be on a 2004 F-250 diesel)

Also does anyone know where I can get salt? I do not have a place to store bulk salt.

One more question, I have a street through some town homes that I need to give a price on, the street is about 25ft wide by 2030ft long. The street will is full of driveways and will probably have scattered vehicles on it. Can anyone help me with a price for plowing the street as well as possible due to vehicles in the road? And a price to salt the street?

Sorry if my questions are scattered
    Thanks for the help
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Start with the ones advertising on this site and you'll get a good idea what's out there. The may be under a heading of "ice control". First to figure out is if you want a one- or two-stage tailgate spreader.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

For my tailgate sander I use bagged salt and sand tubes. They make great ballast too.
  4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Personally, IMO if your doing streets and drives, I'd find a V-box Sander/Salter. You can do bagged salt with one, but I sure would find a place to store some bulk at. You can get small loads(under 10 tons) of bulk rock salt through Holliday Sand & gravel just South of Bonner Springs on Hwy 7. Its a whole lot cheaper to go that route then bagged.
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

welcome to PS...need more details on the street to discuss with the customer....do you just hit it once or do you come back after the cars have moved? do you plow it with the storm? do you have to scrape it clean even where cars have driven on it? (hard to do with a f250).... if i were to bid it to clean after the storm and hit it just once and it's on our route i could do it for $500 plus salt (based on KC's 12" 5 year average) if it were up here 100 miles north of downtown it would be $1000 plus salt..... btw i'm figuring windrowing into the drives using a SS with a 10' heavy plow....
  6. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

omg i just wrote a big long thing and accidentally deleted it all......

anyways now im going to shorten it up. I figure we are just hitting it once. It will be impossible to have all the cars moved. It is in KS not a reallly fance place but nice and trying to look better. It is a lawn account that wants to have the snow included and I am tired of subcontracting it out and getting complaints and stuff messed up.
    What are you saying about "i'm figuring windrowing into the drives using a SS with a 10' heavy plow..." are you talking about clearing all the driveways with a skid steer as well as the streets??
    What would you charge to salt just the street?

I think that I the gist of what I had wrote earlier..

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i just ment that the snow would be windrowed at the end of the drives unless otherwise requested to do different at an extra charge....not really sure on the salt, depends on weather it's a light snow (about 1/2 ton treated at $100) or a good ice (about 1.5 ton treated at $300) these are just a ball park figures....
  8. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

I got ya I think I just wasnt sure what windrowed ment.

Thanks for the help and lets hope for some snow