1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where is your gas cap?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ThisIsMe, Dec 15, 2006.

1. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Was at the dealership today and was amazed that the service manager did not know this simple but useful fact that was worth sharing here. I learned it from my days of travel and rental cars.

Sit in a strange truck or vehicle at the wheel. Without using the mirrors and eyes straight ahead, tell me which side the gas cap is on.

This does work on newer vehicles only, maybe 1995 to present, but not all of them.

So who can figure it out?

Should be useful for people driving plows for others.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Printed in the gauge cluster, typically by the fuel gauge. I have only had Fords so its easy for me, drivers side.:nod:
  3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Darn... Did not think it would come that fast.

4. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I'm a mechanic and get to sit in vehicles for various reasons, like bleeding brakes. You look the different dashes over. Most of my trucks have been old enough they never had it. Good thought though.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Drivers side :gunsfiring: wesport
  6. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

On both my trucks they are on the drivers side. My old 05 jetta was on a pass side.

Funny topic though. Back in the day I detailed cars and did some running around for the benz dealer. One day I had to fill up a new to benz and us car. Forget the modle. I found the filler door but couldn't open it no matter what I did. Called the dealer and they had to find a sales man who knew how. Ended up you have to hit the unlock button then press on the hinged side and it would open.
  7. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Almost always on the side opposite the exhaust. (But you still can't see it if you are looking forward.)
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Mine's at the end of the filler tube. :p

Can someone explain the reasoning for putting the filler on the passenger side? Other than stupidity? You will always have a driver, guess I'm just lazy. And overpaid.

PS That's the first thing I look for when purchasing a new vehicle. jk
  9. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

When I was younger I worked at a gas station, you wouldn't believe how many times that people didn't know where the gas cap was or how to open the dam fuel door. I swear I knew every vehicles location to unlock the fuel door. I would get the same response its my wife's car or my husband's car. Or they would pull up to the gas pump with it on the wrong side. I actually had 1 lady yell at me because she pulled in on the wrong side. I told her this so she did a 360 turn on the other side and I got yelled at again because the gas cap was on the wrong side. I'll never forget that 1 its my fault you don't know your vehicle rrriiigghhtt. I had this 1 lady open her hood twice for me. People would open there trunk all of the time and when they asked for fuel I asked them if they wanted it in the trunk and they looked at me funny. Or getting 5 dollars worth of gas and handing me a 100.00 dollar bill.that use to piss me off.I never had that much cash on me for safety reasons. I gave back 97 ones 1 time beause they guy was a smart ass. I unbanded them and gave it to him and stated its all I have.

BTW my car drivers side, my truck drivers side wife's car passenger side
  10. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I guess it was not that clear but tsmith figured it and knew the answer.

If you look at the gas gauge there is an arrow pointing to the side that the gas cap is on.

11. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Like you said, it is not on all of the newer vehicles.
    Actually, of the five vehicles I drive regularly, only one is older than 2000 (1997) and none of them have arrows. Of course the list makes this less surprising: VW Passat, Chevy Silverado, Ford F-550, Freightliner M2, and International 4300.
  12. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

not all Fords are on the drivers side. On my 01 cobra it is on the passenger side for some reason, but all of the Ford trucks I've had it was on the drivers
  13. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

spittincobra01 I didn't think Ford put any on the pass. side, but I have only owned trucks.:rolleyes:
  14. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Acually, We have two fords here, My moms explorer is on the passenger side, and it shows by a little arrow on the gauges. My dad's f-150 in on the drivers side.
  15. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I can tink of a few reasons.

- Accident statictics may show that one side or another is less prone to getting t-boned or ruptured so you put the filler tube there. Of course the statistics can vary wildly and probably only show a small proprtion of the true picture.
    - Simple packaging. There might be more room on a prticular car to put the filler tube on the passenger side.
    - Kind of nice at the gas station in a coupe with long doors and short wheelbase (like a Cobra for example) where you might be prone to snacking the driver's door againt the cement crash barriers every time you get out fo your car to fill it up.

My Wife's Celica, my Altima and the 2000 Silverado all have the filler on the driver's side...I really wisht eh Celica had it on the passenger side simply because the door is hard to keep dent free at the gas station, My 94 SHO also had it on teh driver's side.
  16. spittincobra01

I always thought the same thing... infact, when I first got the car I looked like a real winner constantly pulling into the gas station on the wrong side, getting out and noticing, then turning around..lol It only took a dozen or so times for me to learn
  17. spittincobra01

good point! I never though of it that way, but you are absolutely correct!
  18. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Some of you young guys may not remember but they used to be behind the license plate holder also(cars). Then there were the days the tank fuel tank was in the cab behind the seat(trucks). Filler neck behind your left shoulder.:yow!:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  19. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

all my vehicals have always had it on the drivers side. Ex's rav 4 was passenger which annoyed the hell out of me.
  20. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Both my chevys are on the drivers side, my Honda is drivers side, but my BMW is pass side.