1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where is this blue stuff coming from Fisher HT

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ramair2k, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I have a fisher HT, (brand new) and after taking the plow off, I noticed some blue liquid, assume its hydrolic fluid, at the base of the lift piston near the a frame. Nothing was dripping, just some blue stuff mixed in the slushy snow. Checked all fittings and nothing appeared to be leaking.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Did you hit a curb or something? Meyer gas a relief in that area

3. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I did hit some lips where the sidewalk meets the asphalt road and edge tripped. Also, possibly when i drove up on sidewalk to scrape it down. Having said that, I didnt hit anything hard enough where it made me say "oh crap!" Just normal bumps if you will.

Blue hydrolic fluid
    [​IMG]

Top of lift cylinder
    [​IMG]

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yup that's definitely hydraulic fluid- probably a leaky seal on one of the pistons- take it back to the dealer...

5. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I haven't seen any fluid since that one time. Hooked up the plow today and went up/down a few times. Cylinder was dry and no dripping of fluid. Dealer said I can take in if I want to but it sounds like overflow of fluid and not a leak. They said if it was leaking it would leak while sitting in the driveway off the truck and it's not. Should I take it in to be sure?

6. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Looks like the fluid is coming from the grey cap/plug from the hydraulic resivoir. It looks like it wasn't turned tight all the way so I hand tightened it. I can see the fluid, not a lot, but a bit of a trail from the tank down onto the plastic cover and onto the headgear. From there it traveled across the A frame and under the lift cylinder. All fittings are good and cylinder as well. Looks like tech who did install just didn't tighten it enough.

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The breather cap, the grey plug on top, will release some oil residue. It's not uncommon. Especially if it was overfilled a bit.
    Not a big deal. Just keep an eye on it as you use it. Just in case.

8. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

How tight should the breather cap be? Hand tight??

9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Yes, not over tight. It's only plastic. It's only supposed to hold 5 psi.