1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneCowboy, Jan 4, 2009.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

This is getting ridiculous

There have been 2 (and some of my eastern properties got another one, but not all) plowable events in 2008!!!!!!!!! (the whole year, Jan-Dec)
    I billed more last December than I billed the entire year of 2008, and there is still no snow or even chance of snow so far this year (09)

My fixed costs don't change (insurance, trucks, plows, etc) but no revenue coming in. I know sooner or later we might get some, but this is just getting silly.

And I'm double hosed, because most of my summer work is dryland pasture and if it doesn't snow, nothing grows and I'm out of business.

The mountains keep getting pounded, but me I get nothing.
    So, if anyone needs help in the Colorado mtns, let me know and I'll load up the semi and we'll be there. ugh

snow dangit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to hear about that. You will get it. It will probably all come in one storm that lasts a week!!

I had 11 plowable events in Dec 08. We are only 10" away from our seasonal total. Probably will only get 10 more inches in Jan, Feb, Mar.
  3. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I feel your pain ... I'm sitting here staring out my window at 4 - 6 inches on the ground in Parker. Unfortunately I'm a sub & the only lot I plow is a huge high school & not even sure when they are going to call... The guy I sub for usually keeps me plenty busy, but he got screwed out of a couple of big lots, So I was lucky to get the one I got. I'm pondering a trip to the mountains also...
  4. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Be careful what you wish for , you may get it 36'' fold.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Parker, Castle Rock, Castle Pines got over 4 inches...

My lots, nothing but a dusting...BS

Don't worry LC, snow will come.

Slight Chance of snow for this FRI.

I bet we get pounded here in March.

Picture of the 2-4 they originally forecasted...a-holes. damn dustings:realmad:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. Turbodiesel

I found that if I hook up before a storm , my big red scares it away.

I just replenished the salt pile over by about 4 ton , that ought to keep the storms away.

7. MileHigh

Im not superstitious...

Don't believe in it, and never will.

But then again, I see what your saying.

I put plow on = No Snow

I leave plow in garage = 4 inches.

but still, a plow can't change the weather, plain and simple.....But I totally see what your saying LOL
  8. Turbodiesel

Dude , dont feel bad . Philly is going on 2 years without a decent push . Were due for a crippler as far as I'm concerned . That ought to separate the men from the boys.
    I'v been ready since December 2006:gunsfiring:

I'll probly snap a driveshaft the next big storm . Thats why I have back-up.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  9. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Time to go seasonal on those contracts.
  10. Turbodiesel

I tried signing them up for seasonal . Not with this areas weather . As a matter of fact , I won a contract that was previously a seasonal script .
  11. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I just drove by the skool I'm supposed to plow. I have 4 - 6 inches in my yard & the skool which is about 3 miles away has about 2 inches on the lot. Plus the freaking sun is out so I doubt I'll be there tonite to clean up, but you never know...
  12. MileHigh

I don't get it...

Why didn't you plow that snow yet?...I woulda been all over that shnit.

Is it because they don't have school before sunday?..F That....:realmad:
  13. Turbodiesel

Better keep an eye on the weather , might become tank traps by monday!:realmad:
  14. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Do they not care about ice? I would think with all of the foot traffic across a school parking lot that the district would want you to clear it every time it snows. Even if the snow melts on it's own I don't think it is warm enough to DRY UP before the sun falls without a little assistance. Sell it to them.
  15. Turbodiesel

He may have to nuke it tonite
  16. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

cowboy, least in CO you have a chance for something really big... i heard from numerous companies in NJ, theyre just praying for a couple 2-4" storms this year at least! lol. Last year we plowed ONE time last season 2-3" and didnt make it to some properties as it was already melting mostly the next day :/

it seriously sucks.

We added some big accounts this year that we had to beef up on equipment

1. 1 ton truck
    2. 4 Boss snow plows
    3. 4 Boss salt spreaders
    4. 3 Whelen LED lights ($2k worth)
    5. More push spreaders, hand spreaders
    6. 3 Simplicity commercial snow thowers - 1 was used
    7. Protech 8' push box
    8. 66hp John Deere 4720 cab tractor "has heat"
    9. extra insurance, and more insurance for more trucks of course

Still had to turn down some work that came in too late, make multiple route adjustments.

Had my main employee quit already because of the lack of work since August, we've been dry for months for landscape related work, cleanups were at a minimum this year too. We've only had a few routes salted a couple times so far, ONE employee has salted a few times, i have done the rest myself because its been so slow there was no need to call guys in for a few hours of work.

I had 4-6 employees that i signed up part time for snow removal help, and a couple i'd possibly hire on in the spring for landscape work, two have taken other part time jobs already, cant get ahold of the 3rd one, lost one plow driver already and another driver went back to his old job part time so "im working around his hours" which at this point ill take :cry:

Things are falling apart fast. I spent most of any money we had on more equipment since i never want to get slammed by a major storm and leave these big commercial sites with less than sub-par work... Im now already looking at what equipment im going to have to sell off first to make it through to at least end of march until our maintenance accounts are in full swing.

Were months behind though, i mean March 15th 2009 work that starts we wont be paid for in hand until end of april or early May 09. we just got new plows, spreaders, & truck, if we go another month and can't even bill out any salt runs, the first thing to go will have to be either the new truck, a plow/spreader or something else. Ill cancel out a route and have to tell them to find another company. Some of the accounts were already complaining about salting, whether we needed to or not in December, when we only did the place twice in all of December :( They can keep that crap.
  17. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah turbos right.. I bid an account that we got both ways. Was something like $2500 a month for 5 mo. term, or $750 first push, $295 per salt run etc. I figured if we plow ANY two times per month and salt a few times, were already at or over that... They asked about the total cost for the season of $12,500... they took the per push prices.

So far for Nov/Dec 08, two salt runs, actually the same day, iced over at the end again after rain, billed $600~ for dec 08 :( This account would be thousands per smaller storm.

We have other routes that total close to 2k per 2-3" range, no pushes though. In jersey, theyll take the lowest per push rate, its ridiculous too, on our $750 price for this property, we were underbid by another company, actually 2, but the manager overrode the approval because he felt they were undersized or just less professional or something. I thought our $750 price was about $200 lower than my normal already, but since id make up on salting and removal over 12", id make a killing with the bigger equipment.
  18. Thats why I like seasonal contracts. I sit here praying it doesn't snow... Or at least that much...
  19. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You win (or lose, however you want to look at it)

Good thing the "economy is doing fine" (Paulson voice) or you might get worried huh?
  20. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

We have had one pushable snow, and it was only 2". I am looking for a inexpensive used salt spreader. That seems like the money maker this year.