1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the hole in my firewall om my 2005 Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by flykelley, Jul 18, 2005.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ok Guys
    I'm getting ready to start getting the truck ready for snow. I was going to install my spreader control and wiring for my strobes. I look under the dash and no hole like there use to be from the factory. Yes I have Plow Prep and I need a big hole to run wires through. I don't just want to drill a large at random.
    Any idea's, Picture's? George I know you have been through this. HELP.

Thanks Mike
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I think you have to drill your own hole. My 03 I had to but they may have put the hole back? Anywho were you are "supposed" to drill the hole is a bit up and to the right of the gas pedal. There is a hol in the insulation and a flat spot. Or you can run wires out the little grate deal beteeen the bed and the cab.
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Mike...........Some posts say GM forgot the hole...................
    My 01 it was in the 8 o'clock position under the master brake cyl.
    My 04 I notice it is in the 4 o'clock position same area...........

I don't know if the installer drilled the 04 or if it came that way ???
    The 01 had a plastic plug in it.................

The kid broke my cheapie digital camera. Best I can do is take a
    regular pic and scan and send it to ya.........But that will take a

I swear there is some pics around here or elsewhere of the "HOLE"
    Will look and post a link to them.................geo :drinkup:

RAT..............That spot by the gas pedal is another place.
    There is a round flat spot there too.(at least on my 97).
    I think its better drilling by the master cyl. area.........
    Closer to the fuse center and the wires are SHORT !!!!! :cry:
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  4. sonjaab

Mike...........I found pics on line...........Drop me a e-mail
  5. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I was looking for the hole as well on my 05 and I just said F-it and drilled a 1/2" hole near the master cylinder to run my 4ga amp wire. There is a lot of space on the fire wall to drill through just be sure to check both sides for a clear spot. Don't forget to use a rubber grommet.
  6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

They took the hole away on the 05's and are running an additional harness through that location. If you take and puse the rubber grommet into the cab, remove the keeper in the grommet, carefully slice the boot on the grommet you can run wires through the hole/grommet. Be carful not to nick the 2 wires that run through there,, It will take you mechanic to figure out why your truck is shooting codes and you will have to have that harness replaced, not cheap.
  7. flykelley

Ok Guy's
    I took a trip to Body Shop at the Plant. After talking to the guys on the line, they also claim they do not come predrilled anymore. The guys tell me that you have to drill your hole now, that sucks. I have found a area above the old hole location that I may drill a 3 inch hole. Need to check the back side to see if it's clear.
    I have two sets of big gauge wire to go through the new hole, will take picture's and post here, hopefully this weekend.

Regards Mike
  8. sonjaab

Mike........If you recheck those pics you will see that on the inside
    of the truck where the hole will be drilled there is a pre-scored
    circle on the sound deadining (spl) material that just pulls off.

You prob. can drill 2 holes there because there is nothing in the way.

I guess this is because of the clutch slave and related goodies
    would go there if it was a stick...........................geo
  9. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Mike/geo - Here's a pic I snapped with my camera phone (crappy res) on mine. It's an '04. I did drill this myself, it's about 10 inches above the gas slightly to the right.

10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Another from under.

11. flykelley

Ok Guys I got the hole in the firewall now. Next will be to run the wire's for the salt spreader. In early sept the new plow will be installed.

Regards Mike

truck firewall hole 001.jpg
  12. flykelley

Here is a second picture

truck firewall hole 002.jpg
  13. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Mike - Looks good. Get yourself a big a$$ gromet for that hole!!

Good luck with the installs. :nod:

14. flykelley

Yes Bad Luck I will put a large gromet, got to go to auto parts store and get one.

Regards Mike
  15. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

What does GM make in Janesville WI??? Just curious cause I have 2 uncles that retired from there...

16. flykelley

They now make the full size suv's. Both GMC and Chevy, Tahoe, Yukoon, Suburan. Use to also make med duty trucks till a few years ago, they are now made in Flint MI.

Regards Mike
  17. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Thanks Mike! I'll have to keep my eyes open for that - if they ever put the d-max in the suburban I might go for one...

RED_RIDERTB Junior Member

any mods to front plastic when installing boss rt3 on 03 chevy 2500 hd?

I am going to install a boss rt3 on a 2003 chevy 2500hd. Does anyone know if I need to do any mods to the front plastic air deflector by the tow hooks? Any suggestions or pics would be appreciated. Thanks :drinkup:
  19. Blackwin

Blackwin Member

I have a Boss 8'SD installed on a 2005 GMC.

No cutting of the air dam was required.
    Tow hooks are still on the truck

RED_RIDERTB Junior Member

Thanks for the info and pic. I installed mine this morning. It was not as hard as I was expecting. I had to modify the skid plate so the rear support would go on with the skid plate. That was easy enough (it is plastic). I still need to install the wire harness. Looks like I need to drill a hole in the firewall. :cry: