1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the best place to get salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lyons Lawn Care, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Lyons Lawn Care

Lyons Lawn Care Junior Member

Where is the best place to get salt? Can you get it at places like lowes? I know these are probably dumb questions but I am new and just trying to figure the whole snow removal buisness out.
  2. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Lowes is a joke and will not cut youu any deal. Try Home Depot, the one around here can get it by the truck load and quoted me 4.75 a bag.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

How much salt are you talking about?
  4. Lyons Lawn Care

Enough to do a 2-3 acre paking lot.
  5. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

how many times ?
  6. Lyons Lawn Care

3-4 times a year generally here in KY.
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Thats funny we just took a semi of Road Runner from Lowes for $4.?? per bag. Great to work with
  8. JDiepstra

I like that Road Runner stuff. It works good.
  9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I just talked to the manager at our lowes, said 10% off for contractors. which brings it down to around 4.50/bag. I just bought a pallet @ 3.95/bag. Plan on picking up a couple more for backstock.
  10. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Road Runner (Scotwood) = rock salt 96%
  11. JDiepstra

Where did you get that info? I dont think thats what i read on the bag
  12. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

you are going to use bag on what I read from your other post 156,000 Sqft for both lots not counting the acces rds what does the add to the total?, and thats almost 4 acres bud little over 43k SQft is an acre!!! I do'nt seethe SQft for the Rds
    1, ur better of with balk are you mixing it with sand or straight salt?
    2, what are you going to spread it with? small tailgate spreader? have fun at 900-1000lbs a load two to three times at like 20 minutes each time by ur self, hr total to load it 3 times not counting spreading time ( THE FASTER YOU CAN SPREAD THE MORE TIME YOU WHOULD HAVE FOR MORE WORK WITH OUT HAVING TO SUB IT OUT OR HAVE TO HIRE MORE HELP)
    3, one bag spreads around 5,000 SqFt depending on how heavy so at a med setting your going to hand open 40- 50 bags? not counting the Rd $4 x40 $160 just in salt not counting mark up and cost to spread
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the best place is out of JD's bin.....it's always free to new guys at plow site.....lol
  14. Stringalation

Stringalation Junior Member

well i hope you have better luck than me. i have been all over louisville and all i could find was REMOVE ICE MELTER home depot does not have it yet lowes does not have it yet and my big guys caudill said mortons is 4 months out. we do not have big snow here any more but a few ice events so i wanted to spread a little and shovel some d-ways good luck to all us new guys but this is a totally diff. beast.
  15. PBinWA

PBinWA Junior Member

Look for Solar Water Heater Salt. It's usually in the same place as the salt for water softeners. I can sometimes get it pretty cheap at Walmart during the summer and early fall. Otherwise, it is usually stocked at Home Depot and Lowes. At least out here it is.

In a bind, the water softener cubes work but not that great and usually need to be spread by hand. :mad:

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

I have two truckloads of 50's here if you wanna haul it or have it hauled. Sell for what I have in it--cash. I use 80's first.
  17. obrionusa

obrionusa Junior Member
    from Indiana

Try Water Softner Sales reps.

I just bought a pallet from a local water softner company (Alpha Water). Its a mix of calcium and rock salt to 5* above. The sales agent says he sells to hospitals and Universitys. I paid $5.50 a bag. I'm sure some of the big timers like Culligan has it as well. Oh and that was delivered to my door.
  18. Stringalation

i found some rocksalt at 5.45 per and 5.25 a pallet i bought a quarter ton for starters sweet
  19. Stringalation

had to go check the name. it is america rock salt