1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where/How Do You Mount Your Joystick?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jkmola, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Jkmola

Jkmola Junior Member

Now that you're done giggling, where do you put your joystick? Specifically, for a cable operated pump. Left or Right side? Dash or Floor? Just looking for some ideas. Thanks.

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Usually the left side is the most convienent and comfortable.

3. quack-addict

quack-addict Junior Member

I have mine mounted to the bottom of the dash angling up toward the seat at about a 45 degree angle.

Having it on the right side allows me to work the plow and gear shift with the same hand and steer with the other. Two of my trucks (not used for plowing) have manual transmissions so it is somewhat second nature to have my right hand on the shifter and steer with my left.

4. genrock

genrock Member

Same here right side, angle up so I can reach it without stretching. You want to be able to just drop your hand down and there it is. Mount it right under the dash board. If you mount it to where you have to look or stretch you may find yourself slamming into something or someone slamming into you no matter how many amber lights you have going.

5. Jkmola

Jkmola Junior Member

Well, that's kind of what I was thinking and wanting to do. I'm much more comfortable steering with my left and operating the joystick with the right, although I'm sure I would get used to doing it the other way. But I see how it would be better to mount the controller on the left and have a straight shot through the firewall, down the left inner fender, and out the grill. If it's mounted on the right, where do you go through the firewall at? Also, I was thinking of removing the drop down cup holder and fabbing up a mount that would bolt up in those holes. Again, though, is the problem of routing the cables.

6. 00247

00247 Junior Member

I prefer the left side. That way while pushing into a pile or at the end of a push I can be working the blade and grabbing reverse at the same time. Also if I get greedy and hang the blade in a pile, I can work the blade while steering back and forth or working the tranny forward and reverse to get out. This is with an automatic. Here is a picture of my Chev that I just mounted an Ultramount on. Joystick on the left. It is comfortable to reach and high enough so it won't be hit by my knee. I took a bit to make a metal bracket to fit between the dash panels, but I don't like to drill holes in in dash parts. I can still get to the headlight, cargo, and fog light switches.

[​IMG]

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i have a joystick controller hanging off my door, its real comfy.

8. Jkmola

Jkmola Junior Member

Just to be clear, I think some of you think that I have the type of controller that is shown in the picture above. I wish I had the mounting options that type of controller would allow. The one I have has the stiff, semi-flexible cables that kind of limit the places where it can be mounted effectively. Here is the type of controller joystick that I have:

[​IMG]

9. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Put it on the left. It will make for a cleaner neater install. The left is usually better because that way your right hand is available to shift all of the time.

10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I like the right side with a ram mount bolted to the lower seat frame with a flex ext to a mounting plate. I have used them for years in planes and they work great.
    www.ram-mount.com/ramcat.htm

Regards Mike

11. sinsere

sinsere Junior Member

I have the joy stick mounted to the center console in my Dodge Ram with a peice of steel that I fabricated to fit inside the console so the lid closes on the steel and keeps it secure. Its also nice because its easy to take it on and off easily.

12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'll say this I have never plowed with the stick in right hand for long. Tried it, but It not comfortable.

Left makes sense though. Think when you plow you have a job to to do racing against time.

With the stick on the left after driving forward into a pile, you're stopped.
    Your left hand is raising and angling while your right hand is shifting from Drive to Reverse at the same time. This simultaneous action can't be down with the stick on the right unless you reach over the steering wheel with the left arm.

To each his own.. Try a joy stick and switch hands with it. Were ever it ends up (most comfortable to you) Is the best place.

13. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Cab Commander

:waving: Do you prefer the joystick over the cab commander? (pistol grip, thumb controlled) I didn't like the joystick at all, I keep the commander in hand, I don't have to reach for it, I can use either hand and if I want a challenge I sit in the passenger seat and operate from there :D Just kidding. I'd just thought I'd add food for thought. I think the commander is a little expensive, but Iike the versatility.

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

14. Jkmola

Jkmola Junior Member

Well, I'd much rather have something like that, and maybe I will someday, but the plow that I picked up at a yard sale came with the cable controller. I just picked it up a few weeks ago and am in the process of doing some fixing. I haven't even ran the pump yet.

15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Well being a cable type, I never saw one on the right side of the steering wheel. I think installers would have a easier time on the left side and that where every one I ever saw ended up.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The cables make it hard to mount anywhere but the right side of the wheel below the dash. The cables need to be routed with at least a 6" radius to the bends.

How do you guys who operate the plow with your left and shift with your right steer? With your Joysick:rolleyes:

17. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

All our controls for the westerns/fisher are handheld (automatic trans) or the joystick is mounted on the gear shift (jeeps). One hand on the wheel and one on the gear shift, using your fingers to move the stick. You can't beat it, period.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No you cann't except maybe with a snoway wireless mounted to the steering wheel al' addicted

19. LD4850

LD4850 Member

I see you've got one of those *NEW* plows....:jester:

My "T-Handle" Joy stick is mounted on the transmission hump . Has been in the last three trucks this plow has been on & seems to work just fine.

20. Jkmola

Jkmola Junior Member

Yeah, it real new alright! But the price was right. If I could do it "my way" that's where I would put mine, but I don't think that it gives me very many options as to where to fish the cable through the firewall. Where did you put yours at?