1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where have I gone wrong?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sheltonct, Nov 9, 2008.

1. sheltonct

sheltonct Junior Member

Sorry for another "I need help" thread.

Truck is a 1989 F150 with heavy duty front end, v8, 5.0

Plow - Western Unimount Pro-Series Blade.

It was bought and taken off from an ‘89 F150 as well by my friends and I.

Everything has been installed as it was taken off (with pictures). Also d/led the western manual and have checked the schematics numerous time and still it doesn’t work.

Problems seen/heard:

1) When using the joystick, all I hear is clicking somewhere in the front of the truck. I took it apart and no apparent burnouts on board.

2) When we initially installed the blade it was slightly up, when testing the blade, all it did was drop down and has not moved since via the joystick.

3) Do not hear the motor/pump when the joysticks switch in lit red/on.

4) Used jumper cables from blade motor to truck battery and it moved.

No clue what else to do on my own w/o taking it somewhere.

Thanks,

Matt
    Shelton, CT

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

the "clicking" you hear is most likely the solonoid under the hood of the truck....

If the plow was working before you swapped trucks, then check all your connections. Make sure you got good ground where you need it.

3. inknthread

inknthread Junior Member
    from Ohio

If your ground and all connections are good, change the selonoid. A common part to go bad.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I like it when your in the middle of a storm and darn thing won't go back up at the end of a run. Coffee Break! Always keep a spare in the box. I am thinking about designing quick disconects.

5. sheltonct

sheltonct Junior Member

Unfortunately when I bought it, for whatever reason I didn't test it - yes I'm an idiot.

Thinking now, I have no idea as to why I didn't test it except for the price I paid - $275 for the whole thing - plow, frame, electronics.

The price was low b/c he was going to do landscaping and plowing and decided to quit and sell all - made an offer and he said yes.

I do not have the lights on the plow working/hooked up - could this be why?

Thanks,

Matt
    Shelton, CT

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

If all you hear is clicking when you move the joystick, and the motor dies not run... the pump is not getting power when it is supposed to. Like others have said, it sounds like the solonoid. It is the one inline with the heavy cable from the battery. Get a test light and check if there is power on both sides while trying to move the plow with the joystick. The plow side of the solonoid should only have power only when the joystick activates the plow, i.e. moving it left/right or up. Down it should not have power.

7. rusty8

rusty8 Junior Member
    from iowa

sheltonct, I am by no means an expert but here is my story. A guy gave me a unimount plow
    with no electrical or truck mount. I was able to find a mount from another vehicle and cut and
    weld to make it fit. When I went to work the plow it moved just a bit at first but nothing after
    that. The pump would run but no movement. The plow was a backup plow and not used for I'm guessing at least five years so even though I could hear a slight clicking sound from the solenoid area I decided to remove the valves and they were indeed stuck. Some WD-40 and a screwdriver and was able to get them freed up. I then reinstalled the solenoid and hooked them up to a battery and ran them about ten times. Put everything back together and to my surprise it worked. Hope this helps.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have the brown/red, as well as the orange/black wire connected to the two small terminals on the under hood motor solenoid? If the orange/black doesn't have ground (check it) the solenoid won't activate the pump motor. There should also be another orange/black on the same terminal as the other like colored one that goes directly to the neg battery terminal.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  9. sheltonct

sheltonct Junior Member

Regardless of the issue, I have bought and received the other day a new solenoid and motor relay.

Hopefully this weekend after installing new insulation in the attic I can install the parts and pray.

B&B, I will check - I believe the answer is yes - I can and will take pictures when I install the new solenoid with current wiring.

Thanks,

Matt