1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where does the ground wire go?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Woodland, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I'm getting ready to wire up all the lights to the new truck, but I can't quite remember how I did it on the old one. Going to have a set of backup lights mounted to the trailer hitch frame. These will be wired directly to the battery through a relay. I seem to remember that I tied into the reverse wire going to the trailer wire harness to trigger the lights? Seem right. My question, however, is where do I run the ground wires for the relay and the lights? Should this run back to the battery or can I tap into the truck frame. The second set of lights is two work lights mounted to the truck rack. These will also be wired through a relay to the battery. They will hopefully be tied into the factory cargo light switch ('04 Chevy K2500). These would follow the same protocol I assume?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The relays only consume a very small amount of current so there's no need to run the grounds all the way to the battery. Any good grounding points near the relays will be more than ample.

The lights can also be grounded at some point besides the battery...no need for a long wire run to the battery either. But I do recommend grounding them to the chassis rather than the body. Keeps the extra load off the factory frame to body ground wires.