1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where does liability lie??? just making sure im covering my Butt

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by wayne1234, Feb 16, 2010.

1. wayne1234

wayne1234 Junior Member
    from Indiana

OK, I have plowed for this company for a few years now (friend of a friend),,, my Insurance guy set me up with a commercial policy this year, and a liability policy,which I dont know why he changed it now, since I have always been upfront about my plowing, but something must have changed.... but I want to make sure I'm covered because so many people are sue happy,,, Any ways they have the contract to plow some commercial retail sites, the contract is in their name. They call us (me and a buddy that also does this) when the want us to plow.. they provide us salt and tell us how much to use per location... Sometime I feel they wait too long to call us out, and sometime I feel we should use more salt( which I do), i expressed this to our contact, in the business . and basically I use more salt than they say to use and write it down so it can be accounted for... I make sure my lots are clean and any foot traffic paths are salted Sometimes I am the last one out,, I want to make sure the lots are safe but I understand they are paying us alot... So if someone slips how is that handled???? Sice they are the one in control of when it is plowed and since they state how much salt to use????, Any advice is appreciated

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If something happens the first rule is ,sue everyone and let the court figure it out.Call your insurance and set up an appointment with them and go over with them as to what documentation they need to help out in case something happens.

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

As GV said-everyone gets named. Be sure your obligations and expectations are in black and white. Also be sure to document when you were called, what you did, site conditions on arrival, departure, details of your instructions for that shift, quantity of a salt etc. Chances are you will get off the accusation as you were a sub, and instructed to do as told....but it will be up to you to prove it.

4. wayne1234

wayne1234 Junior Member
    from Indiana

There is not any obligations or expectations in black and white... The only thing I have ever filled out is a 1099 for taxes with them... They have a sheet for each location we fill out which has the arrival time, end time, how much we pushed and how many bags of salt we put down, it has a area to fill in site conditions, I put down if it is windy, or still snowing, and it has if there are cars in the lot... It is their own internal paperwork, I think they use it more for billing... I keep a time log also,... Do I need a "expectations & obligations" It seems that would be more liable for me... Thanks for the input

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Makeup your own log book. If something happens they may"lose" that sheet you filled out.