1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where does everyone pile there snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by R&J Whitetails, Sep 29, 2015.

1. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Where does everyone pile there snow and bidding my residential jobs

Hi everyone this will be my first year moving snow. I am starting with residentials and was wondering a few things. Do you push the snow on the lawn without wrecking the lawn or do u try to put it on the boulevard? I'm talking about 1 and 2 stall garages. I live in north central North Dakota and was wondering what I should expect to charge people. I had $35 a push in mind with a single stall driveway 2 cars deep and $45 for doubles along with the sidewalks on both sides of the driveway and one leading to there front door if they have one. I also don't know when I should start pushing...2"? So $35 for 2"-4.9" and add another $10 for anything above that? We average about 40-50" of snow a year around here. I would like to have a few options for ppl to choose also. I would offer a package such as driveway,sidewalks cleaned for $35 for singles or the same package but with salted driveways for another $10 and an ultimate package with all of the above but with priority garenteed service by 730am for another $10 for a total of $55 and the same with the 2 stall jobs obviously. Is that asking to much or do you think people won't go for it? My other issue is I almost don't think that's going to work since I live in a town of about 2500 ppl and I'm going to try to move snow in and around the surrounding towns. The main town has about 8000 ppl that live there. What are my option? If anyone must know I'm using a 2013 gmc duramax with a 8'2" boss VTX. My insurance for the business is going to run me a hair over $300 a year and my fees for my LLC are about $125 I shouldn't need to do maintenance on my truck since it's pretty new and low miles (except $1000 in tires again) and for an oil change right before the season starts. I was going to do some advertisement which is $150 a month on the radio. hopefully I'm not missing anything. If I am please let me know
    Thanks for reading this

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try this...........

plowing-direction-1.jpg

3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Grand view x2. The difference between a pro and a hack starts at the curb. Nothing good comes from putting snow in the street. Someone comes along, hits the snow YOU PUT THERE, damages their vehicle or worse gets hurt, and it's all your fault. When I ran the town public works dept I told the guys to fill the drive of anybody who plowed into the street. The phone was red hot for first few storms but things quieted down.

4. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

I didn't say anything about putting snow in the street

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You said boulevard. To me, and most other people, boulevard is another word for street....

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  6. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

The boulevard is inbetween the street and the sidewalks isn't it? Pretty sure?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Parkway is what your talking about

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Parkway's are also included in street names, "Dry Creek Parkway"

The answer is you put the snow where you can on the property away from any structures or landscape features. Do not pile snow on the high side of the property, it'll melt and refreeze in the driveway or sidewalk, push your piles back far enough to have maximum space without tearing up the turf/landscaping. Once the piles go through a couple melt/freeze cycles you won't be able to easily move/push the piles back.You say you average 40-50" a season, remember it's an average and it can be doubled or only get a portion of the average.

10. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Regardless if I'm right or wrong we now know what I'm talking about.

11. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

I know the average could easily double. The last 2yrs we have had very little snowfall so I'm hoping this yr is different but the forecast says it's going to be about the same again but who knows. I've wanted to do this for 2yrs now lol

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Or do we............ Who's on first?:rolleyes:

Never base anything off of a weather forecast, at the most it's a very loose and opened prediction. NTACs is an acronym you'll find on this site which refers to weatherman, it means No Talent A$$ Clowns. Thumbs Up

13. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, it appears that you're right, and wrong.. and so was I

depending if you're a civil engineer or just a lay person, it describes the boulevard as both the grass strip, or a wide city road.

Go figure....:confused:

I push my snow onto their lawn, but I raise my blade before doing so, not to chew up their grass as best as possible. This is why it's critical to look at a property before it snows, but I cannot tell you how many knuckleheads call me up after a storm and ask if I can do their driveway.

14. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Ok so now that we have that out of the way how bout assistance on my billing plan. The most important part hehe. Thanks for the info

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It appears you're charge per push per storm, some guys invoice at the end of the storm, some on the middle and end of month, and others at the end of the month. However you decide to invoice make sure you have the date, approx. time, amount plowed (if you're doing tiered pricing) and any other billable charges shown in the invoice.
    There's various ways to create your invoices, from Excel to Quick Books and industry related software.
    Since most people have email use it for invoicing and it's a good idea to use it when communicating with customers, it provides documentation of the conversation.
    Terms are up to you, 15 or 30days is typical.

16. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Do my prices sound fair? I was also thinking of doing a referral type program where the customer refers another person and I would give them $5 off the next push

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Would you pay them......:laughing:

Rates vary from state to state, from county to county and town to town.

In my area your suggested rates all in the range you'd expect to get based on what you described. Back east they'd be much more from what I've seen posted here and from talking to guys back there. I will say you may want to rethink the 2-4.9" and increase it to 6". The size of the driveways you're talking the extra 1" isn't a problem. Ihave two price points for my in town resi's which are small like what you described
    Also take a look at what amounts the town/city requires for walks to be shoveled, this is a good place to come up with a trigger meaning if it snows 1" and walks must be shoveled then that's the trigger, 2" then same principle. You don't want to just offer shoveling if the 2" trigger isn't hit, you'll never make any money driving around doing a $10.00 shovel job.

18. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Ok so if I do a $35 per push up to 6" and $10 more for anything above 6.01" what kind of a seasonal contract should a guy have for those that don't want a per push?

Also how does the 1" trigger work? After 1" I start pushing my route and go back after every inch or push the first inch and come back after the snow stops? Do you charge 2 times since you come back even if it's under 6"?

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

All my customers are per push but there's plenty of reading on Seasonal Contracts you just need to search PS.

I plow my resi's in the morning and again late afternoon if needed, my customers just want to be able to leave for work and come home to a cleared driveway and walks. If were to plow a resi every time the trigger was met they more than likely would be able to afford you.

20. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Your exactly right on them not affording it every trigger. So as long as it doesn't snow more than my 6" increase mark I should push it at 1" and then come back once the snow stops for my $35 charge is what your saying.