1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pert Snow, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Pert Snow

Pert Snow Member

Hey guys i was wondering you guys put snow on residential drives after you back drag if you cant push it to the garage. Where do you guys stack the snow?

2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

In the yard or in the ditch. The second is kind of iffy. somtimes if the lot across the street is empty you can push it there.

3. ERCKWD

ERCKWD Member

In the yard, try not to put it accross the street 'cause the towns will fine you for it.

4. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

Pushing across the street is illegal in my area. I don't know about other areas. Just keep that in mind.

5. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Yah sorry I guess I should have said something about that I am pretty sure it is illegal here also. But everyone does it and they seem to be pretty lax about it. Famous last words. The ditch is also illegal.

6. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

plow driver here misses 1/2 the road when he opens... so i clear my side and pile there... if city says anything, i'll tell them i pay you tax and have to open road anyhow s so here's the bill... just hate it when edge of my driveway has the center line 2 feet away

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

IT gets piled on the corners of the driveway, just off the street.

8. Pert Snow

Pert Snow Member

i always see contractors having this problem sometime i see them pushing down the block, or piling it up it front of the house

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

In a winter with a lot of snow it can be a problem running out of room. Customers don't think about snow removal when they put their mailbox on one side of the drive and a bunch of shrubs or whatever on the otherside. Not to mention the problem that occurs when there is a fire hydrant on the opposite side of the mailbox, or a stinking sidewalk that people don't want any snow on.

I really hate it when guys with back blows pull the snow from a driveway and disperse it onto the street as they drive away!

At somepoint you are just going to end up putting it anywhere you can!

10. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I push it across the street, I do however clean up my mess. I know alot of the town guys as well as a few guys who plow for the state, I've never had an issue. Just can't be a slob and leave all the snow in the road.

11. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

Ditto.....

12. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I push across the street at my mom's also plow drive across the street so they don't complain. get alot of snow put it whereever you can

13. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

skidder and dump trailer works too.

14. Pert Snow

Pert Snow Member

thanks guys ill try some of those maybe

15. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

take it out to the opening of the driveway and pile it on the curb/edge of the yard on the side of the driveway opposite to the mailbox
    so if mailbox is on left side of driveway your pile goes to the right

16. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i live in a area that gets alot of flurries so i stack the snow in a couple differnet places? just lift your blade and make a road and you wonthurt your lawn imo.
    [​IMG]

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ditto

I was just starting out with plowing and I left trails of snow in the street like ever body else. then one day a town plow run me off the road for pushing snow across the street. So now I clean up after myself. I will only push across the street on small, small side roads. Dont need to get T-boned:eek:

18. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I don't do resis...but I couldn't ever imagine pushing the snow onto someone ELSE's property....

Push it on the lawn...or somewhere else on the CUSTOMERS property.

19. ParadiseLS

ParadiseLS Junior Member

technically, pushing across the street, and putting it on the boulevard is CITY property. in some cases, the city and the developers are so braindead that they pack houses into thin lots with zero front yard or curb space, in Canada of all places. don't they realize it snows here? so sometimes, you get corner lots and stuff across the street from little lots that you have to plow and i see nothing wrong with pushing across the street in these cases. also, i have a couple situations where one customer has zero front yard and curbspace and luckily i also plow the neighbour across the street who has a bit of room, so after i quickly run out of space on the one side, it all goes in front of the other house.

one thing i hate though is the guy who plows one of my customer's neighbours, pushes across the street and literally packs his snow right at the edge of my guy's driveway. in fact, there is usually spillover that goes off the side of his plow, or trickles off his stack, that goes right onto my customers driveway. unbelievable. if you're going to push across the street, keep in mind that the neighbour across the road should have a little space along his driveway to pile his own snow, so start stacking it at least 6-10 feet away from the driveway if possible.

20. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I try to leave it on one side or the other of drive after back dragging. But on some of the light snows I will backdarag and then " blow it" up in the yard by just driving down the street and dropping the blade. This save space for the larger snows.