1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where do you work on your trucks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Edgewater, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Just wondering how those of you with 1 to 5 trucks manage to keep everything maintained.

Do you have a commercial shop, or do you have a garage at home big enough to do what you need inside.

How many of you tough it out in the cold?

Just curious.

Adam

2. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

A lot is done either outside, or in our 20x24 shop. though it's not insulated.
    This is our first year for a shop though. Quite a blessing!

~Matt

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Mostly outside, because the truck doesn't fit in the door of the garage.

If I get into something major usually I can get in to a friend's shop or something.

4. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Same as the other replies,outside or at the shop...

5. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Most work we do at our shop. If it is to big of a project we send it out.

6. apkole

apkole Member

Shop is heated to 70 degrees all winter. It costs to rent, but I'm 51 and can't stand being cold or wet in the winter. The rule is that no matter how broke the truck is, drag it or haul it back to the shop. 12' h x 14' overhead door, security alarm, heat, office, phones, bathroom = paradise to a snowplower.
    Jeeps and trucks go inside at the end of the night to melt off while we sleep in the morning. By the afternoon, things are clear of snow, warm and ready for maintenance check and washing. Have a fire wrench, buzz box and tools to do the minor stuff.

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Just had my truck in the shop and changed the oil in 65 degree comfort. Which is really nice considering it's still 6 below outside and only getting colder.

Buck

shop&daisy12.JPG

8. Ripple

Ripple Member

work

i DO MY WORK IN THE DRIVEWAY...i DON'T HAVE A SHOP...bUT MY FRIEND HAS A BIG GARAGE

9. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

I have 2 trucks, and both of them go into my heated 24 x 28 garage. I spent a better part of my teens and 20's working on a layer of ice changing trannys and rear ends. I decided to build my own garage with full cable, a blasting stereo system and a fridge for my beer.
    I only plow with my 79 Ford, it barely fits in the 7 foot door, I have to close the sunroof or it'll rub.
    I loose my 98 GMC to the wife in the Winter months, bummer.

10. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Woikin'

Must be nice - all warm and toasty, soft creeper, tools warm to the touch, coffee and schnapps handed to you by the secretary,...
    Usually I wind up working it's where it needs the starter, hydraulic line or ...

PB :cool:

11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

for now i need to drive 30 minutes to my moms unheated garage. :( but now my girl friend and i are looking for a house with a heated garage. just changed the oil in my truck, was about 5 out. BBRRR

12. bcf

bcf Senior Member

In the driveway...

...at my parents house, which is real long that lead out to my dad's tool shed and trailers. It was no fun changing my oil last night at 6 degrees, with the wind blowing my face off. Sometimes I treat myself and use the creeper, although it's really much easier to lay on the stone drive than it is to move those tiny wheels. :dizzy:

13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

In my two car garage, the F-150 barely makes it under the door but once iam in there is plenty of room. The Cherokee fits easily. I have plenty of tools in the garage. I don't get to park in there on a regular basis though, my mom and dads cars are parked there when its not snowing. If its going to snow then the cars go outside and the trucks get backed in with the plows on so iam redy to go. The garage is heated so all the vehicles take turns inside during snow storms to melt off all the snow. I have enough room to work inside if need be. Maybe this spring we will get around to adding two bays so all 4 vehicles can be inside.

14. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

the shop os where its at!!

i have a 30 by 75 ,,,25 foot of it is office , lounge an bathroom with shower an central heat an air. having a shop is wonderful. salt stays inside on pallets an we load with forklift inside. nothing like being outta the weather ! i did it for a many year out in the driveway freezing , never again!!

15. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I love my shop

My shop or garage is 28x48 4 bay doors I can make it in with my light bar on and plow one is 10 foot wide to fit the trailer.

14 foot ceilings and steel I beams insulated and an office on the 2nd floor over the 1st bay also 2 bays have drains and I have running water also so I can wash the truck after each storm.
    I also have a auto lift that can pick up the front or rear of the truck using air oh I have my compressor and all the air tools going and 100 amp service to power everything including my welder.

Also there is a 3rd floor not in use at this time I just don't know what to do with it.
    I keep it heated all winter and I'm thinking of putting AC in for the summer :drinkup:

Here is an old photo before I put on the new doors it had 12 foot doors but I could feel the heat leaving the shop every time the door opened.

I'll try to take a photo of the inside I also have a bascket ball g hoop in there when there is nuthing to do.

My old house was a 2 bedroom ranch I used to work in the driveway burrrrrr
    [​IMG]

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You don't happen to need a roommate, do you? lol I could easily fill up that unused space for you..... ;)

17. norrod

norrod Senior Member

I am fortunate to have this gargage added to my house. I can fit a pickup or 1-ton dump inside with plow attached. The overhead door is a 12x12.

Since these photos, I have added a lot of work benches, and it is not this clean anymore.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

In the freezing cold.

19. WELDER

WELDER Member

ditto........in the freezin cold,,,,,,

20. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

Norrod, wheres the pretty part of that Harley fairing??