1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you store your bulk salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by donleybrent, Dec 18, 2010.

1. donleybrent

donleybrent Member

I have no choice but to do bulk salt this year and I have buildings I can put it in but they all also store equipment and toys. If I store salt in the buildings is it going to rust everything around inside? I am thinking about buying some old 20' boxes off old box trucks and keeping it in there. I only need about 1500#s at a time. Please let me know your past experience. Thanks
  2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Are you saying you only need to store 1500 pounds at a time or that you apply 1500 pounds per event? That is very little salt and won't take up much space at all.
  3. donleybrent

donleybrent Member

I apply anywhere from 1000 to 1500#'s per event. I would go get the salt myself with my short double so I need to store about 30 ton of salt.
  4. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I store 24 ton outside under a tarp
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I started the year with 40 tons outside under a tarp, what a pain in the ass the tarp is. Next year its going in a Sea container, not sure if Im buying a 20 ft or a 40 ft.

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

We keep 20 - 30 tons inside the shop. Been doing this for several years now and there are no downsides. Nice to load trucks inside . Only takes up one parking space.
  7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

We keep our salt outside. We try to keep a tarp on it, but as others have said it can be a pita. As long as you mix the pile before loading it we have never had a problem with it freezing. I would like to put up a clearspan building next season, already got s quote of about $4500. We typically store 100 tons at a time.
  8. donleybrent

donleybrent Member

I don't want to store it outside. I was just wondering if I store it inside it will rust everything around
  9. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

In my experience, if your salt is put inside with a high moisture content in the salt, yes it will rust surrounding items. If the building has heat in it, it will be worse. Years ago, I put salt in my salt shed, unheated building, with overhead doors with extension springs on the door and they rusted completely thru in 2 winters and broke. Since putting sliding doors, no problems.
  10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Haven't noticed anything rusting out so far except a little rust on one electric outlet.
    I wouldn't worry about that.
  11. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

I used to store bulk salt in an unheated garage on one of my properties. I always kept it covered even though it was inside. Never had a problem with corrosion even with storing a couple tons over the summer. I would start out with about 10 ton in storage. When it got to about 2 ton left I would resupply another 10 ton. worked out fine for me for over 10 years. Don't have the account for salting any more. Th account a non-profit organization can't pay for salting any more. I just do the plowing now. They don't worry about ice control any more!
  12. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Guys around here are using Mafia blocks from concrete plants to build a bunker and then putting a hoop hut over the top.

The key is to build the bunker so that it's blocking the majority of the wind/snow/and rain.
  13. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

We built plywood "bins" out of 3/4" green inside our heated shop, one for sand/salt mix and one for pure salt. Added a few dock fans to the wall to keep air circulating around the piles and we make sure to roll them around a bit to keep things from clumping.
  14. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

just ordered mine the other day. It is 26w x 12h x24l im hoping to get 80 tons under it.
    i got 2 high mafia blocks and we bought the back kit for it with shipping and all it was 3,800 i will post pics soon as i can but they said we wont get it till after christmas

bu tarps suck and everytime we would lift it of the snow falls right in the salt and there 150 bucks a pop so why not go with a clearspan for 15 yrs u cant beat it
  15. donleybrent

donleybrent Member

Cool thanks guys.
  16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We rented a 20ft sea container this year to keep some salt on site. So far its been great, no tarps, no freezing issues and its secure. I can only get about 22-25 tons in there at a time but that lasts us about 4-6 events.
  17. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Only 22-25? You need some practice!.....;):laughing:
  18. Brian Young

What?????? I stacked as high as I could but the arms of the skid keep hitting the top of the container. Please, let me know if there are any tips. I've tried just about everything I know to stack it higher but both times they delivered 22.5 tons and its all I can do to get it all in there. It kind of works out tho, the dump truck can only haul about 22 tons and again, thats about all I can fit so 1 trip for the dump and 1 time down there to load it into the container and nothing left outside.
  19. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I fit 32 ton in mine... I had a 33 ton trailer load dumped and I put it in the container with my skid... the key it to get as much in and as tall as you can in the back... you'll never get it to the top (my skid arms hit a few times also) but try pushing and lifting some of the pile once you get some in there......it should stack pretty well.... then once you don't think you have anymore room because all that salt slide down towards the doors... get and cut some 2x10s or 2x12 and put them in the grooves of the doorway... you can put 4 or so
    2x12 and that alone creates alot of additional space to put the salt.....Thumbs Up

20. Brian Young

32 tons? well Mike your just an animal! LOL. I thought of using boards for the ends but haven't had time yet. Thats what I do, as I get a small amount in the back I keep pushing it up as far and high as I can. Its a little more than 3/4 full height wise and spilling out the doors. There was about 3 tons left the last time I filled it so yeah, about 25 tons or so. My skid steer is delicate I guess,lol.