1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you mount backup lights so they won't get damaged?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Jan 27, 2005.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've got backup lights under my rear bumper. Cleaned both of them off backing into snow banks. Put a new one on that is smaller and tougher. Cracked the lense this morning backing into banks again. Thinking I should put them in the bumper this time with some sort of cover over them. Where do you guys mount yours, what type do you use, and what works? Thanks, Nick.

2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

if your knocking off the lights watch out for the backing thing and have spares on the shelf at the shop so you can replace them as soon as you return from a storm.. :waving: :waving:

3. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

I actuelly have mine mounted up on the truck bed back by the box pointing a little to the side.. the "factory" reverse lights do an "ok" job right behind the truck so I light up the sides and revese more to pick up those curbs and big objectsto the sides that can be backed into.. But this is an option as well if y ou dont' want to have them damaged.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

NICK............One of my buds solved this problem by making stakes that slipped into the rail pockets on top of the bedrails.

He mounted his aux. back up lights on them. He put pigtail connectors on them so he could unhook them quick and put them in the cab when not in use.

Being mounted up high on the bed they throw out a lot of light to the rear
    and no more crunching them........geo

5. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

I saw a nice custom job where a guy used a hole saw and installed them right in his bumper. Scary to cut it, but a real nice and secure way of doing it.

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Good ideas. I think I will cut my lights into the bumper as that is where I have my wiring already. Getting the lights up high is a good idea. I have plans to put lights on my rack up high already, but although they would light up the back better, I also think they would be more obtrusive to people if I left them on. Do you guys think if I put a small lexan cover over the lights so they couldn't get smashed that it would work, or would it get all filled up with raod grime and snow? That would be a way to make sure the lights didn't get smashed. I try to be carfeul backing up to a point, but I have a long wheelbase so sometimes I have to get as far back as I can.

7. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

I think unless you seal them extremely well, any covers will fill up with all kinds of snow and road grime or fog up. They'll probably make the lights less bright too.

8. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

If you have weldiing capability, you can weld some flat stock into a box to aurround the light. You can either weld this to the frame or bolt it to something solid.

Tractor supply has these pre-made that bolt up to the bumper.

You could also get a set of trailering lights that attach to the draw bar on the trailer hitch.

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

10. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Hey dlcs, hows that spreader working out? and is it the pro?

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

This is its second year in service and works really good so far. Only problem is one of the connectors for the power cable is going bad, not a big deal though, just need to put on a new weatherpack connector. I don't know if its a pro or not but its not the low profile one. Mine holds 650lbs.

12. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i did mine the same way dlcs did his . i just ran from the power coming out of my trailer wiring connector

13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My lights aren't powered off the trailer wiring, casue I wanted them on all the time and not switched. My trailer wiring wouldn't handle the current that those lights draw without a relay. The taillight on the spreader is run off the trailer light wiring though. My main reason for mounting the lights like that is so I can just remove the spreader and lights all together. Really wasn't thinking about protecting them but it worked out that way.

14. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

mine are on as long as the headlights are on.

15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Do you leave your back lights on while on the road. I'd get a ticket, if I left mine on all the time.

16. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Mine are mounted on a back rack, either side. They are wired so they can be turned on/off independently or come on when in reverse and off in drive. They are bright as hell and its great for tailgaters, just flip the switch for a few seconds.

17. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have 4 utility lights, "rabbit blinders as one person called them", mounted right into my headache rack. I wired them so that I could turn them on all the time or they would only go on when I put the pickup into reverse. This worked great until I put a Fisher speedcaster II on the back of the pickup. Now it casts a shadow and when you look back that spreader is REALLY BRIGHT YELLOW!!!. I also put a light on the back of the spreader so that you could see how the sand is spreading in the dark. That works pretty well also.

18. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

I use tractor lights, just a flood light bulb in a rubber housing, they mounted under the bumper and connected to the stock back up lights. I have back through many snow banks, as I have a long wheel base truck as well, and worst that has happend is the bulb popped out of the housing and was hanging by the wires, pop it back and you ready to back through another snow bank. :drinkup: :drinkup:

19. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

I cut nice holes in the step and tow on the 79 Ford, put in a couple tractor lights and voila, bright and not going to get bumped ina bank or shaved from the top.

20. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I also use tractor lights mounted in the rear pockets of the bed. They never break ( at 6 bucks each) and give lots of light. Try the cheap way.