1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you guys mount your strobe supplies?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kyler, Jun 16, 2009.

1. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

So am looking for a good spot to mount my strobe supply in my 06 gmc crew cab. And I am at a lose. Where did you guys have them mounted? Pics would help. I don;t like the idea of under my rear seat because when i fold the seat down it digs into the leather. I like the idea of mounting it on the back wall behind the rear seat but how should I fasten it to the back wall since I have the bed back there and can't do a nut and bolt set up. Maybe huge sheet metal screws? Thanks guys, install starts tomorrow and since i only have a couple hours each day to work on it I am hoping to have most of it buttoned up by friday. Thanks guys. O and if you want to email me the pics shoot them over to raposok@wit.edu :help:

2. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

the last Chevy truck I did, I installed in on the driver's side, on the ledge to the rear of the truck under the rear seat, won't touch your seat.

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

You didn't state how you mounted it and with what type of fastener !!!!

4. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I assume this was directed towards me. 4 self taping sheet metal screws. We use self tapers on all the stobe packs for emerrgency vehicles we do.

5. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

bump anyone else? I don't have any room under my back seat or on the back self because I have the brackets for the seat there. Only other option is on the back wall. what do you guys think?

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

most power supplies become warm, ventilation is important. They do not get so hot as to burn anything - unless they have really failed. Then you consider ease of access for your wiring points.

I have the NBS and there is no space under the dash. I've got my unit under the rear seat. I made a vented cage to protect it and simply mounted it to a grounding plate. The wires come though the floor board. All points have been sealed, under coated, etc.

Wire location, dry, ventilated.

7. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

got cha...so the point of it being mounted to metal is for a ground? I thought it was heat dissipation. At any rate, There is plenty of room for ventilation on the back wall. Only thing is I need to cut the carpet back there. and i can run all my wires along the door jams and then run the back wires through the floor board.

8. scottL

I should clarify. I used basically a plate that attached to the unit and then to the truck. It acts as both a ground ( very important ) and as heat dispensation.

9. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

i see did you cut your carpet? any pics?

10. scottL

no picts. I only cut my carpet to make a hole to allow a bundle of wires to pass through.

11. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

not on any of the Strobe packs we have done. We have mounted them to anything and they always work just fine. I would be more worried about the heat then the ground. If you have room, the back of the cab where you say you have room would be my scond choice. Just be carfull not to run too long of self tapers through the outside of the cab.

12. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

ok so mounting it ontop of carpet is fine, i just hate the idea of cutting the carpet. I don't plan on running these long enough for the supply to get hot enough to melt anything.

Gear head, i am pretty sure my back wall is only single wall. So any length screw will poke through, I just plan on siliconing the crap out of them.

13. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

that is why I opted for the floor ledge versus there, I felt I would break thru the back of the cab. That one was mounted over the carpert and no complaints thus far (little over a year).

Could you make a bracket to hold it as metioned before, that would secure on the floor (ledge) but postition the supply along the back wall. Then you would not have to cut the carpet or silicone the crap out of it. Just a thought.

14. hewy

hewy Junior Member

Just curious- Do the power supplies make a clicking noise whe nthe strobes flash or are they dead silent? a guy i know has mounted lights inside his cab against his rear window and he complains of a clicking sound every time they flash. I told him it's his lights that 'click', not the power box. Who's right?

I'm strobing out my truck later this month. Do you recommend just getting a power box that mounts in the cab or is it worth going with a "waterproof" box and mounting it in the engine compartment?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  15. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

it is the light the sound you are hearing. it is the power which is also the flash of light passing through the glass from the inner element to the coiled one on the out side. correct me if I am wrong anyone.......

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  16. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

the clicking noise is normal. I prefer not to mount them in the engine bay due to heat. If it was me, mount it in the cab.

17. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Ive got mine underneath the back seat of the crew cab and to hear a clicking noise you'd really have to have the windows up with the radio off and the engine shut down to hear it... no complaints here