1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you guys get the "OFFICIAL" amount of snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NJ Plowman, Jan 6, 2005.

1. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I had a discussion over a cup of coffee with three plow guys here in New Jersey and we were just wondering what you all used as the "OFFICIAL" amount of inches as to how much snow fell on a particular area? Newspaper, TV, Weather Station...what do you all think is the best source? :dizzy:

The more comments the better, we had an in-depth conversation about the subject and couldn't come to an answer that we could all agree on...a case in point - the last storm everybody had different snow accumulations, 1 inch all the way to 3-7 inches. Lets kick it around... :drinkup:

JPMAKO Senior Member

Either the NOAA Website or AccuWeather.com
    They both have a link to the previous days weather. This is what I do and then document both by printing out the page as well as taking my own measurement.

Hope this helps

By the way Accuweather is the only website in our area Rockland/Bergen that has the 15 day forecast. Not that it means anything cause I don't think they know whats gonna happen tomorrow anyway but just thought you guys would appreciate it.

How much plowing did you do today?
    We had about 1-1 3/4 of an inch at around 3:00 am And than at 3:30 it started raining. Fun :gunsfiring:
  3. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

MY TAPE MEASURE! which is very rusty and only I can read it.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There are no internet sites that give measurements within 30 miles of me. Since I'm in the hills, snow depths can vary greatly from those areas. I use my tape measure in the middle of my driveway. It's a high and clear area. I have all 3" triggers. Just came in from measuring about 1/2 hour ago. It read 2 1/2", so I won't plow unless someone calls. My customers aren't picky with plowing and most would just as soon wait for 4 or 5", anyway. So I make sure it's over 3" and nobody has complained yet. I had one when I first started plowing who wanted to wait till the snow was over his bumper. I suggested he call someone else.
  5. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

the best thing to do is slide your boot in the snow and measure the snow. i think there are too many variables to go with the nws reporting station 5 miles away. what do you do if your account is in a whole and all of the snow near by blows into it. your reporting agency says 5 inches fell but your account has 12 in the parking lot, is it fair too only get paid for plowing 5 when you are actually plowing 12.
  6. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Drive to customers location... Get customer plow sheet, make note on depth chart & conditions....Measure twice(2 times)...Plow once(1 time) After all work is completed, go back to office with customers plow sheet and note local weather services info for each customer. SEND BILLING $$$$$ :)

Document::::Document::::::Document :redbounce

Let it snow let it snow let it snow..... PLEASE (Im tired of 4" of rain & 33 degrees).
  7. Stang977

Stang977 Junior Member

Call your locol DPW Department. We have to keep records of each event. Many of us will have houry conditions, but, PLEASE wait to call until just after the event. Most DPW's will be happy to help. If your costumer has a dispute you can use us as a reference. We have to hold our records for years. It would be tough for a client to argue with a municipal report.

8. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

Holy keeerrraappp! How long does it take you to do your route? I check my driveway. If I would like to have it plowed, I say my customers probably would to... no complaints yet.
  9. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

For NJ and the Tri state area try I*ON weather out of Morristown, NJ
  10. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

SGthaw.... you would be suprised at how "little" extra time it takes to make a few customer notes on some well prepared documents. If by chance (chance favors the prepared mind) a customer disputes the charges, we then have all of the documentation we need to support the bill. I must admit, we have had only a few disputed bills over the years, but the documents cleared any doubt the customer had.

Keep in mind, Im not talking about $15.00 driveway charges...all of our customers are medium to large accounts & the bills get rather $LARGE$ on a decent snow storm. Accountants & Auditors love to dispute and pick apart invoices.

The better the process,,,the quicker we get paid :drinkup:
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Man are you guys way to involved in measuring snow!
    I step out on the front porch- if the snow comes over the toe of my boot it's time to start getting ready. Simple. If you pay attention to the conditions as your plowing from place to place you get a good idea of the amounts just by that. I have seen a 2 inch difference from one side of town to the other- but I have never had a complaint that I was there for too little.
  12. mjm725

mjm725 Junior Member
    from NJ

I go to the NOAA site and take the snowfall amount from the closest town to me. It's usually no more than 5 miles, we don't have that much of a difference in amounts. I put the site right on my bills so the customers can go and look themselves if they Think I'm wrong. Haven't had a chance to bill anyone yet this year! :cry:
  13. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

14. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

15. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

i never customer balk about my measurements of snow in 20 years.
  16. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i walk out in the middle of the driveway and check the depth with a ruler.
    its usually works since i live in the middle of my route, depending on the lake effect band.